kitchen redo...........good winter project!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All because I mentioned to my honey that our renters had better kitchens then us...............after redoing two this last summer........................... He said why not redo ours!

Here it is, from start to finish, 3 weeks, Take away the time waiting for the cabinets, waiting for the stove so they could do the granite, it took us 1 week plus a few days to do.

This is the original kitchen, walls removed 24 hours after we moved in five years ago.

The hall leads to the front door, looking in from the side door

redo.JPG

Side door to the right, the curtains covered sliders that over looked the back yard, the sliders and wall were gone in about 3 months.

redo1.JPG

Second kitchen,
I forgot to get all the original pictures, but have most.

Here is the wall coming down and the layout we did.
not much counter space or cabinets
Picture 020.jpg

We did replace the counter top formica and stove eventually. I tiled the floor.

DSC07701.JPG

The window used to look out at land, with the garage he built it looks at a wall. This is after we had yanked down the upper ones.
DSC07704.JPG

This is where the island is going
DSC07706.JPG

Boxes of cabinets to put together
IMG_0569.JPG

and of course destruction/construction
DSC07712.JPG

Window blanked out it will be some shelves.
DSC07713.JPG

Walls tiled

DSC07728.JPG

cabinets waiting for granite

DSC07733.JPG
DSC07736.JPG
DSC07737.JPG
DSC07731.JPG

Granite put in today! Love it!

DSC07738.JPG

DSC07745.JPG

DSC07742.JPG

original

redo1.JPG

DSC07701.JPG

Now, get to watch out the windows as I cook rather than stare at a wall.

DSC07749.JPG

Original

redo.JPG

Now, same view from door. We closed off the hallway with the first redo , built in angled pantry walls, built in the fridge. Replaced the cabinet doors to match the rest of the kitchen.
DSC07750.JPG

Happy dance! Now I just need to put away all the kitchen stuff that is in the living room.

Attachments

• DSC07745.JPG
    DSC07745.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 218

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep and cabinets, now need hot water and the sink hooked up..............baby steps lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I want to expand the shelving in my pantry yet .I am not going to do much more on this house because of resale value.It is the biggest house here and has the most modern stuff so really not worth it to do much more .It is a shame a house used to be an investment and now it seems to loose value every year .At least here it does .I want a beach cottage next but not near the beach.I like NC near Kill Devil Hill .I started with a bungalow and then a cape cod and now a ranch

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You will get there in time are you going with an on demand tankless propane one .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks beeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!!! Now you need a new kitchen light :)
I noticed you put the cabinets in front of a big set of windows. Guess you just deal w/that part if you wanted the cabinets. Does it look ok from outside looking in or is it in a place that won't matter much?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will get there in time are you going with an on demand tankless propane one .
Yes that is the delay, waiting for dear honey to install it. We installed the 500 gallon propane tank a few years back.

I noticed you put the cabinets in front of a big set of windows. Guess you just deal w/that part if you wanted the cabinets. Does it look ok from outside looking in or is it in a place that won't matter much?

The windows don't stay open the old springs are worthless. Once better weather comes we will be replacing them. They will be a little shorter, we just need to re-frame it. They just look out at the parked cars.................. so can be smaller lol

We were going to cut the cabinets down in size then decided not to and just redo the windows.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now you need a new kitchen light :)

We are taking down the hanging light in the fridge area, going to put in a nice led one.

Over the stove we are going to put in some sort of venting and led lights, we are looking for a smaller less boxy vent chimney. Also need to put in led light over the sink, we had one but up in the ceiling. Wires waiting for the light, once we buy one.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like that idea of having the nice big cabinets and just reducing the window instead of smaller cabinets. I figured you were gonna get some nice lights to put in. I bet you are just ecstatic w/it and it didn't take very long at all to do it. Now I want granite and all stainless but just not sure when we will be moving outta here. Maybe if we move soon we will just try to make the next place really nice. Love your stove, Fridge, wall tile, floor tile, granite tops and everything! Love how it's all open and you can get light from your huge windows in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I love kitchen renos!
Probably because I love cooking too.:)

Induction cooktops are great, just don't trust everything a salesman tells you...:rolleyes:...make sure yourself the pots you are using will work on induction.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never trust salesman, I did a lot of research before picking the stove, it is well rated with consumer reports.

I bought them off the net after researching what would work.

Duxtop Professional Stainless-steel 17-piece Induction Ready Cookware Set Impact-bonded Technology

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@addy1 What brand cabinets did you choose? We've looked at the put-them-together-yourself cabinets, but weren't sure what the quality would be. Yours look beautiful!

Ask a Question