Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have 2 questions

1. What type/brand of kitty litter do.I use to plant hardy water lily and how do I prevent the litter from floating?

2. I have anarchris planted and also thrown into my pond. What can I do to stop it from producing clouds of algae clinging to it?

Thank you!
Rona in Pacific Grove on the beautiful Monterey Peninsula

Last edited by a moderator:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use the walmart pure clay kitty litter, it is called special kitty. When you lower the pot into the pond the litter does not float, a bit of dust will come out.

The anarchris is not making the algae, excessive nutrients in the pond is making algae that attaches to the anarchris. Either feeding too much, not enough plants competing with the nutrients.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of stores carry some brand of plain cat litter. All of the Dollar stores in our area have it and I have been getting 50 pound bags at Tractor Supply. Just make sure its not the clumping or scented.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I get mine from the Dollar Store too. Tractor Supply is a good suggestion though - we just got a TSC in our town. I'll have to check there!

I do two things to stop the floating litter - wet the whole pot before you put it in the pond. I do this two or three times to make sure it's good and saturated. Then I put a few rocks on top to hold the tuber down, just to make sure. I'm not always graceful in the pond and weighting it down helps when I do a little whoopsie daisy!

Ask a Question