koi 3"-8"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
after reading about koi and spawning not 100% i want my koi to have young, i know they very well may do but i dont know be good but i dont have the set up to cope but well done mate wish i could do it

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no worries slick.. very few will make it if left unaided.. most will be consumed before hatching. my eggs are moved to hatchery ponds... 1000s of them. heres a video of some about 10 days old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So when dose the spawning season start as I have a golly mop I hung in the pond last year but nothing,
but then again I didn't get the pond finished untill late June so prob missed it?
and how do you know when they are ready?
Do you place male and female in a separate tank or do you just put spawning brushez in the pond amd leave them to it and then retrieve the brushes afterwards and place them in a separate tank?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi spawn when water hits about 65* in the spring. they wont spawn until theyre about 12" as a general rule. altho there are exceptions. I had one female who spawned at 8". my first spawn has always started the next morning after I moved them outside. (june). I use spawn mops and move the egg covered mops to a hatchery pond. spawning for me usually lasts a week to 10 days. most spawns are early morning 4am - 9am.. first day or two are heavy..then lighter off and on short spawns. that's been my experience, in Michigan. other climates may vary. I collect 100,000 eggs probably. not all are fertilized. many are gobbled up...its a fish eat fish world!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that, as I said I think by the time the new pond was up and running and the fish in place would have been late june early july most of my koi are around the 12 to 18 inch mark but hay maybe this year,
but im only playing at it if they do they do

Ask a Question