Koi always at the surface

Reaction score
I moved this to the Disease Thread as there may be more to this phenominum to discuss.
DrDave

Hi Folks,

In my pond I have 3 black koi ranging from 13""-16" and a 12 smaller koi ranging from 3-6". The black koi are always at the surface close to the ponds edge with their mouths always opening and closing, this has been happening for 3-4 days now. All the other koi are always under water and hardly come to the surface. Water params are fine with nitrates being very low and nitrites in the caution range.

Yesterday one of the black kois died and I don't know what is wrong. THe other two ki are still doing the surface thing.

None of the koi is really eating. I have done 50% water change, added microbe lift PL and nite out but the nitrites level still continue to be near caution, nearly to the stress levels.

What is wrong? Are the other two black koi about to die? Can anyone help?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Did you take pictures of the one that didn't make it. Do you have photos of the living ones? How long have you had these fish? Have you made any changes to the pond lately?

Reaction score
I have not taken a picture of the fish that did not make it. Its in the garbage and I can take a picture and post if it hat helps. THe other two are in the pond and I'll try to tkae their picture as well.

These black ones are only about a week in my pond. I bought these from another person.

Why does my nitrite level not go to zero?

No changes, except I added more filtration along with Microbe lift PL Gel in my skippy style filter and the 50% water change.

Reaction score
The one in the garbage is rotted and cannot be picturised. It had a couple of white marks on the body on the scales. The other two in the pond are not on the surface anymore... I hope they are still alive I will keep looking and post their picture as soon as I can find and catch them.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If all your other fish are fine, the water parameters are not an issue. The fact that all 3 suspect fish were introduced without quarantine alerts me to outside diseases,

Reaction score
Okay, the other two fish seem to be coming less to the surface now, so either they are doing well (I hope) or they are dead and not yet floating. I will post an update tomorrow.
Can you also help with the answer DrDave, on why the nitrites are high even after the water change? What could be the reason?

The only thing I can think of is that my water hyacinths are turning brownish in a few places and I have not trimmed them. Can they add nitrates or nitrites?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
low oxygen levels may be a factor in this....they will gulp air from the surface if their gill membranes cant extract enough from the water....in essence they may been slowly sufficated. i dont know much about them but i wonder if gill flukes were also a consideration?

Reaction score
So many different things could be wrong. Here are a few suggestions.
1. Ramp up your oxyenation as much as possible. Get the water splashing or add an aerator.
2. Watch your feeding. If they are not eating much make sure you are not putting too much food in so as to not pollute the water.
3. Keep up the small water changes if your parameters are border line. Make sure to dechlorinate the water if you are using city water.
4. Since it sounds like you did not do a quarantine, if it is an illness, it may not have had time to show up in your other fish yet. Keep a close eye on them. it could turn bad for all the fish very quickly.
Any time you add fish to an environment there is a shock to the fish and the eco system. The fish need time to adjust and the eco system, your pond and filters, will slowly adjust, to the new load. But if your filter is not big enough, it will not get better. Sometimes fish will come from a system where the water quality is much better, or worse, then the one you have. Sometimes they can adjust, sometimes not.
Just monitor everything closely. Report updates daily if you can. There are a lot of people here with great experience and suggestions. As many details of your water parameters, observations and so on will help us help you. Photos are always good also.

Reaction score
DrDave, my pond was started from scratch a month back when it was cleaned. I can't see the bottom yet (algae). My UV is coming tomorrow but I doubt it will be so dirty.

Somehow I don't think oxygen is the issue since all the other fish are fine. I have a 2" and a 1.5" outlet from my rubbermaid running all the time back to the pond and a 22oo GPH pump running.

i'll keep providing updates.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if the waters green...the u.v will help...if its brown its tannins and /or floating partiulants and the u.v wont do a thing. when nittites are high and the fish are exposed to this condition over time they aquire a condition called brown blood disease (nitrite poisoning). this will cause the mouthing for air at the surface.since the condition deminishes the fishs ability to absorb oxygen into the bloodstream. also.

Ask a Question