Koi and blueline shark (iridescent) unhappy pond-mates , can it bite koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
any one have iridescent shark (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus) in pond with koi , gf?
i have it since some time but now catfish occasionally chases other fishes ,it has been harmless and looks territorial at the moment , is it normal ? can it get intense that it bites any one or scares them

usually this type is peaceful and lives with everyone i dont know why its behaving like this , i had other type too in past which were extremely aggressive called paroon shark

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I saw this in wiki. Maybe it's feeling more threatened than usual.
"iridescent sharks are schooling fish that prefer groups, are accustomed to living in rivers, and are active fish that require space. They have very poor eyesight, so detected movement from outside of their habitat can be seen as a threat; if stressed, their first instinct is to flee and such a blind dash can result in injuries"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
How big is your iridescent shark? Maybe it's just hungry!

>> It can grow up to four feet in length and weigh up to nearly 100 pounds. They are omnivores and will eat other fish, crustaceans, and different types of water plants

http://fishlaboratory.com/fish/swai-fish
can be reason , its around foot , i feed fishes 2 times a day , will increase gradually in summer to 3 times , shark eats a lot and grows fast , will be double in few months if i feed him more
yes it keeps pond clean , eating in corners and scanning bottom mud

Ask a Question