Koi and turtles living together.

Reaction score
I am quite new here so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place or previously posted. I have visited garden centers around my area and have seen turtles and fish in the same pond.

Backyard pond about 1,000 gallons. I have a dozen fish and about 5 or 6 red eared sliders. I have had my pond for about a two years. I am aware that turtles eat fish.

About every 6 months, one of my fish is eaten by turtles. It is usually a larger one and usually a butterfly "flowing" type fish. The first time it happened, I thought the fish was ill and the turtles took advantage.

My questions, can the turtles live with the fish? Why every 6 months? Can it be that a turtle finally catches a fish? Does anyone have any suggested solutions?

Thank you in advance for your help. A little unsettling as you have a pond for peace and enjoyment and fish are eaten alive.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Turtle mommy on here has turtles and fish but I think she has the apart from each other

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
I keep a map turtle with my koi and have no problems,Just Keep the turtle well fed.
turtles are opportunistic and will go for any weak or slow fish. Turtles are the predators and fish are the prey its nature.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am quite new here so please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place or previously posted. I have visited garden centers around my area and have seen turtles and fish in the same pond.

Backyard pond about 1,000 gallons. I have a dozen fish and about 5 or 6 red eared sliders. I have had my pond for about a two years. I am aware that turtles eat fish.

About every 6 months, one of my fish is eaten by turtles. It is usually a larger one and usually a butterfly "flowing" type fish. The first time it happened, I thought the fish was ill and the turtles took advantage.

My questions, can the turtles live with the fish? Why every 6 months? Can it be that a turtle finally catches a fish? Does anyone have any suggested solutions?

Thank you in advance for your help. A little unsettling as you have a pond for peace and enjoyment and fish are eaten alive.

What level of filtration do you have on this pond? Turtles are notoriously nasty and will quickly compromise water quality especially as relates to fish. 1000 gallons is likely OK for a dozen fish (you do not specify what specie), but adding 5 or 6 turtles to the pond population may be creating a real problem for the fish. The fact that only the larger fish are affected is a hint. I am guessing that the fish is dying from water quality related issues and the turtles are opportunistically taking advantage of a free meal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What level of filtration do you have on this pond? Turtles are notoriously nasty and will quickly compromise water quality especially as relates to fish. 1000 gallons is likely OK for a dozen fish (you do not specify what specie), but adding 5 or 6 turtles to the pond population may be creating a real problem for the fish. The fact that only the larger fish are affected is a hint. I am guessing that the fish is dying from water quality related issues and the turtles are opportunistically taking advantage of a free meal.

@Meyer Jordan I was thinking on the same lines as you. I would think that the smaller fish would be targeted by the turtles as food and not the larger fish. But this is just a guess on my part as I have never kept turtles.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Turtle mommy on here has turtles and fish but I think she has the apart from each other
Also, my turtles are box turtles -- they aren't aquatic. They only use water for occassional soaking [and using the bathroom -- believe me, they ARE messy!].

I tend to go along with what @bettasngoldfish and @Meyer Jordan have to say. And yes, turtles are very messy and they require over-filtration, especially if you have many of them. So if your water quality is poor, it usually will be the larger fish that suffer the most. Then as they weaken they are easier prey for the turtles.

What kind of filtration are you using and do you check your water for ammonia, etc.?

But they can live together. As J.W mentioned @Mucky_Waters has a very nice pond system with turtles. Why not "search" for his posts/showcase pics.

Reaction score
Awesome and thanks for the feedback.

I heard a comedian once that talked about Siegfried and Roys tigers going crazy. He said they did not go crazy they went TIGER. I feel the same way about my turtles. Turtles eat fish and they just were being turtles. I agree they should go after the smaller ones but the larger ones are slower and have more "flowing" tails. My circulation is fine and I have actually seen the turtles latch on to the live fish. The frequency of feeding is a great suggestion but I removed the turtles from the pond. My peaceful pond has become a horror scene of being eaten alive! Anyone interested in some turtles? Thanks all.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow Dan I think I'd make another nice pond for just the turtles. They are so fun to watch and enjoy too.

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Awesome and thanks for the feedback.

I heard a comedian once that talked about Siegfried and Roys tigers going crazy. He said they did not go crazy they went TIGER. I feel the same way about my turtles. Turtles eat fish and they just were being turtles. I agree they should go after the smaller ones but the larger ones are slower and have more "flowing" tails. My circulation is fine and I have actually seen the turtles latch on to the live fish. The frequency of feeding is a great suggestion but I removed the turtles from the pond. My peaceful pond has become a horror scene of being eaten alive! Anyone interested in some turtles? Thanks all.
what state r u located in? I would be interested in one.

Attachments

• 2014-07-04 02.17.13.jpg
    2014-07-04 02.17.13.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 347

Ask a Question