Koi at Petsmart?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There are a lot of unnecessary things like Bottom Drains and Permanent Plumbing That I don't need for a small pond like mine, but If i went 5,000 gallons I would definitely build it future proof with PVC plumbing vs the Tubing I have now and put in diverter valves and bottom drains! I do have a GFI outlet outside that the Pond Timer is connected to and Im thinking a filter for a 5,000 gallon pond I would make a 50 gallon DYI like most i see on here and they seem to work pretty good for most people

Reaction score
Larkin, I couldnt agree with you more. I refused to add what we have invested in ponds, supplies. fish, etc. I am all for SAFE short cuts with DIY projects, but a few hundred, or $1000 or so isnt going to get a 5000 gallon pond installed unless quality of products are really REALLY low.

As you know, hubby just did a pond for a client, and have another going in here... have only picked up a few items for our next pond ... but have prices fresh in my mind...

20 x 25 45 mil liner, $378. This size liner at best will do 4500 gallons.
10 x 15 45 mil liner, another $113 Okay, so maybe we didnt have to have this for the waterfalls area.
UV - 40 watt Emperor Aquatics, $336
150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank ... $200

Hmmm... just these items, and I am out over $1000 now, that doesnt include any of the pvc plumbing (pipe is cheap, but fittings, valves and bulkheads add up - just paid $40 this morning for 2 bulkheads, and dont know what hubby spent at Home Depot yet - he dropped me off to get my nails done and went over LOL), materials and media for building the skippy, nor pumps, NOR water treatment for a new pond ... oh, and what about the rocks or whatever to secure the liner? Hubby just did a 2000 gallon pond for a client, and had to purchase 8 tons of rock for that liner .... I am estimating we need 16-18 tons for 4500 gallons ...

That 150 gallon skippy isnt going to be enough to run our proposed 4500 gallon pond, and while 55 gallon barrels are cheap ($30-50, used) to free, still will need more pvc and another pump ...

I'll take pitty on any poor soul dumb enough to hand dig a 5000 gallon pond ... It sure isnt going to dig itself ... so either kiss your back good bye, hire someone with a machine to dig it, or rent or borrow a machine ...

Can save a fortune on plants through group members and friends, but even shipping adds up ... Between group members and facebook friends, I have spent close to $100 this spring on shipping plants.

If folks are able to get some items free, or fabricate spare parts laying around the house, I would say it's possible to do a pond for about $0.50 per gallon, but the person doing all the work better have a clue, or there will be hell to pay later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Jason said:
... Im thinking a filter for a 5,000 gallon pond I would make a 50 gallon DYI like most i see on here and they seem to work pretty good for most people
Add another zero. You want your filter capacity to be around 5-10% of your pond capacity. I run two 55-gal barrel filters on my 1600 gallon pond, and I'm starting to think I need to add some scrubbers or something else to the system.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Add another zero. You want your filter capacity to be around 5-10% of your pond capacity. I run two 55-gal barrel filters on my 1600 gallon pond, and I'm starting to think I need to add some scrubbers or something else to the system.
Hubby started to tell me today that for a 5000 gallon pond, that you want at least 1000 gallons (20%) but said it could be in a combo of effective barrels, traditional filters, or bogs ... Didnt get the chance to finish the conversation for more clarifaction of what justifies the effectiveness before he had to head out again....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
That would have to do with how often you clean your filters as well, I have 2.5 gallon filter in 450-500gallon pond and my water stays Crystal clear with minor waste and debri because i clean my filter every weekend, Could I get buy with 2 cleanings a month with a 55? Oh so here are my koi i got today, yes I got two, since the smaller rose gold was free! what do yall think?
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3055]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3054]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Clean your filters??? What is this madness? I take it you don't have a biological filter? They say a skippy-style should never be cleaned, although I do flush mine a couple times in the Winter since the bacteria isn't present to break down the waste. I would think bog filters and lots of plants would provide more efficient filtration than a man-made filter, so your filter size will depend on your fish load and any additional filtration. For a 5000-gal pond, I'd at least get one of those 250 gallon water containers to use as a filter, and add another one later if your water starts getting dirty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
Clean your filters??? What is this madness? I take it you don't have a biological filter? They say a skippy-style should never be cleaned, although I do flush mine a couple times in the Winter since the bacteria isn't present to break down the waste. I would think bog filters and lots of plants would provide more efficient filtration than a man-made filter, so your filter size will depend on your fish load and any additional filtration. For a 5000-gal pond, I'd at least get one of those 250 gallon water containers to use as a filter, and add another one later if your water starts getting dirty.
I Have a 2.5 gallon Mechanical/Biological/13wattUV/Pressurized filter, I clean both Large and fine Coarse Pads once a week, I DO NOT clean the Bio Balls in the bottom as they break down waste and from what you all have told me on here not to clean the bio balls and leave them be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
HTH said:
Not all pond filter combinations are created equal. Some need cleaning more often then others. What works for one person may not work for the next because of different conditions.
Agreed. I would also add that what works for one pond may not work for another. When Jason builds his new pond, he will probably find a whole new set of problems that he has to learn how to deal with.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Began in 2007 - Now have two ponds with waterfall and connecting river (~1600 gallon)
koi, shubunkins, comets, weather loaches, and rosy minnows. The dragonflies found me, now I need frogs!
Be careful what you wish for. The frogs that found my pond make a noise that is a cross between a baby crying and a mule with his family jewels in a vice. They are bad. Nothing like the ones I grew up with.

Reaction score
Shdwdrgn said:
Agreed. I would also add that what works for one pond may not work for another. When Jason builds his new pond, he will probably find a whole new set of problems that he has to learn how to deal with.
I think PROBLEMS will be the key word.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I think maybe what we have not said and should say is that none of us become experts with one or two ponds under our belt. This is my 3rd home where I have kept ponds and I am still learning. The hope is that this was the last move :) Another one might just do me in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I do a weekly clean on my vortex the other filters are given a good clean twice a year and thats all the vortex allows me to flush the bottom drain though twice and do a waterchange keeping everything clean and the water cyrstal clear and the koi in good health .

rgrds

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jason, remember to keep a close check on your water quality tests now that you are adding these new fish! Are you going to quarantine them?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Dang, I thought surely something must be wrong with my pond when someone said a 5000 gallon pond should cost around $5000, but capewind came along and cleared that up by letting me know that I'm just a "dumb enough to hand dig a 5000 gallon pond" and that I must use junk products.

Sad, I was about to take an opportunity to tell others ways that I saved money, but who is going to listen to and idiot like me? Heck, I so stupid I dropped a snatch block hook 4 feet down to the bottom of my pond last week.
water.jpg

Ask a Question