koi babies

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, this year I decided to buy some Platinum Ogon Koi and breed them. It's about a month later and I have 150 or so koi babies. The majority are at 3/4", but a few have reached the 2" range. Most of them are platinum ogon, like the parents. I'd say 85% are white and the rest have a black spot on their head. One is yellow. I bought a 5000 gallon swimming pool that I'm having some trouble setting up, but once it's up, that's their new home. I'll try to get some pictures!

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2844.JPG
IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I take them out to move them to their new pool, I'll get some close ups of my favorites.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So since you are breeding a specific type, are you going to be selling them, or did you just want a very white pond?

I'd love to see the parents. My pond is mostly Ogon because my largest male is an orange ogon and my largest female is a white ogon with yellow markings. The two have pretty much formed an exclusive breeding pair relationship.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to be selling them. I have three male parents and 1 female parent.
The female: (That bright white streak is just from the camera)
unnamed-4.jpg

The males:
unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
WOW! I feel like it was so recent that you set out on this mission, and you have already reached complete success. Congrats! They look awesome!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
WOW! I feel like it was so recent that you set out on this mission, and you have already reached complete success. Congrats! They look awesome!
Not really Cnote the odds of many of the babies being of the same colouration as the parents isnt as clear cut as Jenny is making it out to be here , even he top breeders in Japan dont get all the same from the same .
Congratulations on breeding Jenny now comes the hard part culling the maformed ones, then seeing just how many different colour varients come from this mating I think the odds of having white ones from this mating virtually nil .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dave 54, unless my eyes deceive me, many of the babies are completely white. I got many that have black heads, but the majority are white. I haven't seen any with malformities, though some don't have the color I'm looking for.

Ask a Question