Koi Been Flashing, What are these?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My koi have been flashing and have red streaks. I've treated twice with a broad spectrum and prazi. Today a little water change and I removed a section of drainpipe I added for hiding. I found these little red worm things and a few a bit bigger that are brown. Could you try and look at the video and identify them.

100%

100%

Thank You

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 365
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
Hi LibraKoi :wave: welcome!

The red "worms" look like bloodworms, and are harmless to your fish. ( Infact they love to eat them :) ) they are actually not worms they are larvae From the Midge Fly. As far as the brown ones, I'm not sure what you are seeing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fishylove is correct, they are 100% harmless and are actually very beneficial to the pond. the brown ones are some other type of insect larvae as well. If your Koi is still flashing even after a treatment it's a good idea to have the skin and the mucus right behind the gills scraped and scoped to see exactly what is causing the flashing. Keep in mind that a Koi may flash every so often just because it has a slight irritation. If it continues for several hours or days then it's a tell tell sign a closer inspection needs to be in the works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the identification of them. Fish flash everyday almost all day. Fins are red. In the 5-6 weeks I've done 6 treatments of Microblift Broad Spectrum and 2 treatments of Aqua Prazi. I am adding Aqua Medzyme and Clay to the water. None of this has helped. There is one person 2.5 hours away that scrapes and scopes, but he doesn't feel it necessary--he is a ways away to come out though. I also added 5 cups of salt yesterday, which is nearly nothing in the pond. 2500 gals. They are mostly hovering at the top, whereas before they would be on the bottom at night and be swimming around all day. The only time they swim is when they go to flash. Think I should add more salt?
fishin4cars said:
Fishylove is correct, they are 100% harmless and are actually very beneficial to the pond. the brown ones are some other type of insect larvae as well. If your Koi is still flashing even after a treatment it's a good idea to have the skin and the mucus right behind the gills scraped and scoped to see exactly what is causing the flashing. Keep in mind that a Koi may flash every so often just because it has a slight irritation. If it continues for several hours or days then it's a tell tell sign a closer inspection needs to be in the works.

Ask a Question