Koi Behavior assistance?

Reaction score
Hi, I adopted three large koi from a friend who was moving out of the country late last fall. These guys are huge (14" each). They were very lethargic when he brought them over as his pond and mine were probably 40-45 degrees at the time and they were slowing down for winter time. I already had three small koi I had bought from a pond store from the first year and they had only grown to about 6", still skittish they would at least feed when it was me.

Anyway, they had been bedded down for about a week when the big boys were introduced and then rousted from their hiding places by the big boys looking for a place winter. I saw the big guys slowly following the smaller ones around, almost aggressively, until everyone stopped for the winter.

Last year the small ones were out on the first day of spring...not so this year and I think it has to do with the big boys in the pond. I saw the friendliest of the small ones for just a second and have yet to see the other two "followers" this season. The big boys are active and aggressively eating algae...I'm worried about the little guys though.

How long can the little koi last without being fed? Will they get over the introduction of the big boys or will they remain in hiding for now on? As mentioned, I worry about the small ones and they were my original fish. Should I consider finding a new home for the big boys?

Any help will be appreciated.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well the big boys are gonna get alot bigger maybe twice that size or more. i have 2" goldfish up to 17" koi all living in harmony.they should be fine as long s your pond size permits.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have had no problem with different sizes. They will get along and school together and that will be an awesome site.

I have just done the same thing with my indoor oscar tank with success. 6 oscars in 180 gallons getting along for now like one big family.

Reaction score
You guys appear to be correct. My favorite "first buy" fish finally came out today and once seeing me, came straight at me for food. Once the "big boys" saw what 'she' was doing they began to feed from the surface too. They hadn't wanted anything to do with me before this event.

This still leaves me wondering what may have happened with the other two that were there last Fall. I guess it's possible that they didn't make it but I haven't found them dead in the skimmer box. I guess the other possibility could be that when I cleaned massive amounts of string algae out about six weeks ago that I could have wound them up along with the algae that they could have been hiding in...wrapped like a mummy in a big ball of algae I never would have seen them wriggling...I hope not, but a possibility.

They may still show up but it's becoming less likely with each passing day me thinks.

Reaction score
Okay, I've been whimpering like a little girl for no reason....finally, today, the other two koi appeared. The tempurature finally hit 70 degrees today and that must have been enough to roust them from their hiding places. It could have been the food too...they are all taking their fair share of the grub and everything seems to be up and running for the season.

Now, I just need to get me some floating pond plants and another lily or two and I'll be all set. I have about five frogs croaking tonight and there should be many more over the next week,

Next task, clearing up the water...perhaps some barley tea if I can find it locally.

Once everything has greened up and the shade trees have gotten their leaves I'll get a pic to show off what I've been talking about.

Thanks for all the sdvice and for being my 'crying towel'...heh heh

Ask a Question