Koi Breaching Surface

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one of my 16’’ KOI Breaching the pond surface as if gasping for air. No other fish is doing this. My pond is 800 gallons and bog filtration. Is this anything to be concerned about. I also currently have another fish that has bent tail and seems to be expiring. Any suggestions. Thank You.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’m concerned about your 800 gallon pond with koi in it. How many more fish do you have? How big are they?

And to answer your question: yes - big concerns. Big.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi need lots of space- they will get bent spines from being in a pond that is too small. I would suggest rehoming all the koi or start digging a larger pond,

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Please test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH. You have the perfect set up for very poor water quality. We need more information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They sometimes break the surface to capture bugs. I see and hear the splashes once in a while, but it is quite rare.
I think that is normal unless it's happening too often and if several fish are doing it.
If it is happening very often, maybe you have a lack of oxygen and need aeration. Either an aerator or surface agitation may help.

It could also be too much ammonia in the water due to all the fish waste.

Do you have a test kit?

But, yeah, your pond is too small for koi.
Get out the shovel and enjoy a much larger pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
800 gallons? Yikes! Too small for koi...Pet stores fail to warn people of this and now many koi are suffering from bad water quality due to overcrowding...My pond is 900 gallons and even though I would LOVE to have koi, I have settled for shubunkin goldfish which are very pretty and don't put out near as much waste....

Ask a Question