Koi breeder size

Reaction score
All things i seem to read always give age of koi when they are able to start breeding, does any one know the lenght they are when they can spawnng.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Age is probably more important than size. a 6" two year old male could easily breed with a 15" two year old female.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
that's the problem, koi can grow at quite different rates. Some may never get over 10-12" full grown. Some could grow to almost two feet in under three years. Depends on water, enviroment, genetics, food, temps, etc. I have a five year old that is still less than 12" long and have a two year old that is 17" Now that being said, just because a fish is old enough to breed doesn't mean it will. I've seen fish that were five years old that have never bred.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We have two koi in a display pond at the garden centre that have been there for at least 25 years. They are no more than 15" in size!
John

Reaction score
I think the most simple answer is a koi will do what it wants, and when it wants LOL. We have one girl who has been spawning since she was about 4-5" long... She is now about 7" and full of eggs again....

Reaction score
I live in the north and fish alot of lakes that are very abuntantly full of carp, but only see them spawn in late spring on most lakes. Which is very violent event they are almost beaching themselves. But theses carp are probally literrally pushing tweenty pounds.

Reaction score
We have about 60 fish (koi, comets & shubunkins), and I am going to say since mid April, we have had spawning activity about every 2-3 weeks. Presently have 2 fish who look like they are about to pop (1 koi & 1 shubunkin), and a few others (all 3 breeds) who are getting rather plump...

Reaction score
I have seen some of the bumping activity and the chasing, but i have yet to see any of eggs or small fries. Is it just not happening, are they going through the motion?

Reaction score
They will also eat the eggs, so it will depend on how hidden the eggs/fry are. Our old pond (2000 gallons and over crowded) never had fry for long, if at all. Present pond has lots of hidding places, so some fry survive the other fish, bugs, etc.

Ask a Question