Koi city

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a lovely country home on the edge of Bodmin moor three years ago. In centre of garden is a swimming pool sized pond full of carp. At our last home, we had a natural, deep, self filling from rooves and filtered out through gravel beach pond full of frogs and goldfish etc. The koi in our pond have been there at least 16 years, we had problems with green water and fish eat any greenery that tries to grow such as water lilies and irises. Sorted green water but now larger fish are found floating with milky discharge coming from their mouths. Had water tested and advised we need a KH buffer, costing about £100 or so. Could someone tell me what a KH buffer is and what it does?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, thanks, sorry. Trouble is I have no scientific knowledge, they only taught domestic science to girls when I was young - in 1950s. So it may be too 'deep' for me.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Time to learn real quick or hire a pond guy. That milky discharge coming out of mouth sounds bacterial. If you can post some pics that could be helpful, .what sort of filter does the pond have? How you sorted the green water would be helpful info.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Had water tested and advised we need a KH buffer, costing about £100 or so. Could someone tell me what a KH buffer is and what it does?

Not sure what this refers to, especially costing 100 pounds. The addition of simple baking soda will usually maintain an adequate level of Alkalinity (buffering).
As for the fish, photos would help in identifying possible causes for the problem,

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Could someone tell me what a KH buffer is and what it does?

@Auntiebarb That is a two answer question. "KH buffer" is actually two terms: KH and Buffer. First, I will tell you what a buffer is and what it does. Second, I will tell you about KH.

First, what is a buffer and what does it do...

A buffer is your pond's "shock absorbers" that helps to ensure calm, fish healthy, water chemistry by keeping your water's pH relatively stable. For fish to stay healthy, fish prefer relative stability.

Buffer is what determines the strength of your pond's "shock absorbers", or "water's pH resistance to change". As your buffer increases, the strength of your water's "shock absorbers" increase; thus, tougher for your pH to change and this allows for a calm, fish healthy, water chemistry due to increased stability. The opposite occurs when your Buffer decreases.

Water pH is a water test metric that tells you if your water is acidic or alkaline. Water's pH has a natural tendency to change.

Generally, your pond will have a natural tendency to become acidic, although there are exceptions, due to the microorganisms and plants in your pond "cleaning" the water to make the water healthier for your fish. This "cleaning" process creates organic acids that release into the water. These organic acids will want to persuade your water's pH to decrease, become more acidic. However, if you have good strong "shock absorbers" (buffer), then these organic acids are "absorbed" by your buffer thus allowing your water's pH to resist changing.

Once your buffer "absorbs" these organic acids created by your water's "cleaning" process, then your buffer becomes weaker, decreases.

Rain is also an "organic acid" that impacts weakens your buffer.

The "cleaning" process is always occurring and always weakening your buffer.

There are natural buffers also created in your pond due to presence of plants and, as a pond ages, diverse microorganisms. However, young ponds with young/few plants creates very few natural buffers.

Second, what is KH and what does it do...

To keep this simple, KH refers to a natural salts that helps to create a buffer.

The most common of these used in ponds you are already know... Baking Soda... Exact same you likely have used in cooking...

Had water tested and advised we need a KH buffer, costing about £100 or so

@Auntiebarb You do not need to buy that £100 KH buffer the pond business is trying to tell sell you. You probably already have a KH buffer in your kitchen pantry... that is... Baking Soda. :)

Just as you have to be careful with dosage of Baking Soda while cooking... You have to be careful with dosage of Baking Soda for the pond.

Very easy in determining this dosage, but involves me asking you a question... If you want to know.... Just ask. :)

A much easier, natural KH buffer is crushed oyster shells/grit... The same grit product that is fed to egg laying hens (that is pure 100% Calcium Carbonate in the ingredient list).

@Auntiebarb Since you are in the UK, there is another excellent natural product that is better than crushed oyster shell/grit available to you... although more expensive... this is called Lithaqua, which is a mixture of crushed calcified algaes.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sorted green water but now larger fish are found floating with milky discharge coming from their mouths.

@Auntiebarb This issue is beyond my knowledge so others here may help you with this. A picture of this "milky discharge coming from their mouths" will help to give a better response for them to address this issue for you.

Ask a Question