Koi color question

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some answers to my "genetics" question. I have never knowingly put anything but the typically colored koi (white, orange, yellow, black). After four years with this pond I now have a ton of brown fish. How did that happen? Any great ideas for catching this speedy guys to get rid of them? Can't drain the pond, its too big. Thanks for your help.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Birds brought them in,,,,you can get a sane net and try to work them to one end

Reaction score
Ochiba are a Rootbeer brown Koi at least I have seen some that color very cool. Could mean they have breed back to there original carp coloring.!!! Just a thought.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
nshowalter said:
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some answers to my "genetics" question. I have never knowingly put anything but the typically colored koi (white, orange, yellow, black). After four years with this pond I now have a ton of brown fish. How did that happen? Any great ideas for catching this speedy guys to get rid of them? Can't drain the pond, its too big. Thanks for your help.

If they are up to 1 1/2", no more, then they are probably mosquito fish.

Ask a Question