Koi coloring symbolism

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
Dedicated to all koi lovers, enthusiasts, and anyone interested..

(got this from an article in the net)

Koi Coloring Symbolism

The fish's coloring has something to do with its symbolism. Certain colors represent certain aspects or outcomes in life.
  • Kohaku - This koi has a white body with red spots and symbolizes success in your career.
  • Kumonryu - There are two main variations of this koi. One variation is a koi with a white body and black spots and the other is an all black body. This Kumonryu koi symbolizes life changes and transformations.
  • Ogon - This solid, silver colored koi symbolically represents success in business and wealth.
  • Kuchibeni - This white and red patterned koi is often referred to as the "lipstick" fish, because the red coloring around its mouth makes it appear as though the fish is wearing lipstick. Kuchibeni koi represents love and long lasting relationships.
  • Yamabuki - The Yamabuki koi is gold in coloring and symbolizes riches and wealth.

Julia

Reaction score
Well, Ive read somewhere that the energy that the kois bring are the same with those of the goldfish. Further, no matter what color of fish that you have in your pond, you’ll find that the meaning of koi fish color is always something positive, so I guess adding any color of these fishes to your pond is a great idea. I think that if you add a variety of different colors to your pond, you can enjoy a variety of different meanings. Really cool.

Julia

Reaction score
Im not a painter or professional photographer, but each time I sit by and watch, I feel like someone detailing and capturing a moving canvass of images far better than a painting on the wall. The colors and the movements are just so captivating I just know that these are made for me and others to enjoy life as it comes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, did a goldfish inventory yesterday [too much spare time on my hands].

Kohaku - I have a white comet with red-gold spots outlining each eye -- looks like something from a horror movie -- and I'm retired, so...
Kumonryu - Does "Mystery," my charcoal comet count? Life changes, etc: have a 17 year old high school senior son
Ogon - You would know that I don't have anything solid silver! So much for wealth.
Kuchibeni - Well, I have an orange comet with a white snout and it looks like he's wearing lipstick.... And I HAVE been happily married to the same wonderful man for almost 25 years!
Yamabuki - Only have one little fantail that is "gold" and he has some black on him. Maybe this is a second chance at the "wealth" thing, along with some more "life changes"?

There is "Zen" in fish-keeping, without a doubt! Yesterday I decided to take some time and get to know my fish. Translated, means learn to identify each one and try to find each personality. Spent time pondside, with paper and pen, drawing out their patterns & colors. Was VERY relaxing just being by the water and watching them, wondering what it must be like floating along in the water..... Really took the time to look at the little guys and admire their shape, form, and beautiful colors, and how all the colors came together to create each individual little creature.......

But that thought led to, "I can't believe there are people who would abuse animals......", etc. A sore topic. So had to work on the "Zen" all over again. Yes, the fish ARE relaxing as long as I don't try to THINK!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Funny, isn't it? Most of MY problems start when I think! Most of the time I just let my darling wife do it for me. After 40 years, she knows EXACTLY what I'm about to think, anyway!
John

Julia

Reaction score
25 happy years is admirable and rare. I see several 25, minus the happy. Youve convinced me! I'll be looking out for a Kuchibeni! LOL.

Ask a Question