koi died

Reaction score
Country
United States
my boyfriend has had an outdoor Koi pond for 4 years. I moved in last year. I am new to all this. He had 4 and 1 died last week. Well, this morning I saw that another had died. I have one water lilt plant in the pond, but I also had a couple of potted plants on the rock around the pond. My question is: could me watering the potted plants and the water running into pond been the reason they both died? I feel so horrible! I should also include that he had 4 koi in a 100 gallon pond. I have done some research and read that koi need bigger living spaces. Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think you've identified the problem - koi need a MUCH bigger living space. At this point I'd suggest testing water parameters (ammonia, nitrite & ph at least. I'm betting on elevated ammonia) If I'm correct, then use Prime to detoxify & do a moderate water change. Hope for the best, but don't hold your breath, I'm sorry to say. If the other fish survive, they need to be 'rehomed' or you need a much larger pond, asap.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Susan17 ! It's often pond or fish problems that bring people to the GPF, sadly. And yes - if those are indeed koi, then that pond is far too small. Are you SURE they're koi? Some people use "koi" like they use "Kleenex" - like any pond fish is a koi. The reason I ask is after four years koi should be like sardines in a can in that 100 gallon pond. They grow very big very fast. How big are they exactly?

In any case, as sad as it is, the death of the first two will briefly improve the pond situation for the other two. But koi simply cannot live in that small of a space. As they grow, their bio-mass increases dramatically, creating far more waste than the same number of goldfish would. Plants are also essential for healthy fish, unless you have sophisticated filtration on your pond - which wouldn't be the case with a 100 gallon pond. Could the watering have caused the fish death? It could have accelerated it, if your potting soil contained any fertilizer I suppose. But these fish were doomed before you ever got there.

Can you post some pictures of the remaining fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I
Welcome @Susan17 ! It's often pond or fish problems that bring people to the GPF, sadly. And yes - if those are indeed koi, then that pond is far too small. Are you SURE they're koi? Some people use "koi" like they use "Kleenex" - like any pond fish is a koi. The reason I ask is after four years koi should be like sardines in a can in that 100 gallon pond. They grow very big very fast. How big are they exactly?

In any case, as sad as it is, the death of the first two will briefly improve the pond situation for the other two. But koi simply cannot live in that small of a space. As they grow, their bio-mass increases dramatically, creating far more waste than the same number of goldfish would. Plants are also essential for healthy fish, unless you have sophisticated filtration on your pond - which wouldn't be the case with a 100 gallon pond. Could the watering have caused the fish death? It could have accelerated it, if your potting soil contained any fertilizer I suppose. But these fish were doomed before you ever got there.

Can you post some pictures of the remaining fish?
Will post pics when I get back home. At work now. The plants did contain miracle grow. I have read that when you have too many Koi in a pond that they will be oxygen deprived. I have noticed a couple of them coming up to the top gulping (for air I suppose)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Miracle-gro may have caused a water issue for them. I stopped using it years ago - not a fan of Monsanto and any of their brands. I still use Scott's weed and feed from time to time, but only because my neighbor refuses to deal with his dandelion patch that he calls a front yard. haha! When the house was vacant I used to "help out" and apply weed killer for them, too. Now that someone lives there, that would probably be frowned upon! I'm not a huge lawn maniac, but I do like having more grass than weeds!

Fish will come to the surface from time to time and "gulp" - more likely scarfing up something delicious! If they are oxygen deprived they will stay at the surface and gulp for air constantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The easiest way to tell is to check the nitrate levels in the water. Miracle grow will show up in a nitrate (liquid) test. Nitrates are poisonous, especially if the levels fluctuate dramatically in a short period of time.

Were the dead fish curled in a C-shape position? This is the tale-tail sign of nitrate poisoning.

For the sake of the two remaining fish, remove 25% of the water in the pond and replace with fresh, de-chlorinated water. Check the temperature in the pond while you're doing this, and try not to let it fluctuate more than 10 degrees in a short period of time. I'd recommend doing this 2 to 4 times in the next couple of days, depending on how the fish seem to be doing.

I'm with everybody else, though. If those were koi in there, they were doomed long before any chemicals met the water supply. Good luck with the remaining fish, and I am sorry for you and your boyfriend's loss. Accidents in ponds are incredibly common for beginners (speaking very much from experience here) and you have to forgive yourself. Ponds are extremely complex biological systems, and so many things can go wrong it's ridiculous. Try to be kind to yourself!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The easiest way to tell is to check the nitrate levels in the water. Miracle grow will show up in a nitrate (liquid) test. Nitrates are poisonous, especially if the levels fluctuate dramatically in a short period of time.

Were the dead fish curled in a C-shape position? This is the tale-tail sign of nitrate poisoning.

For the sake of the two remaining fish, remove 25% of the water in the pond and replace with fresh, de-chlorinated water. Check the temperature in the pond while you're doing this, and try not to let it fluctuate more than 10 degrees in a short period of time. I'd recommend doing this 2 to 4 times in the next couple of days, depending on how the fish seem to be doing.

I'm with everybody else, though. If those were koi in there, they were doomed long before any chemicals met the water supply. Good luck with the remaining fish, and I am sorry for you and your boyfriend's loss. Accidents in ponds are incredibly common for beginners (speaking very much from experience here) and you have to forgive yourself. Ponds are extremely complex biological systems, and so many things can go wrong it's ridiculous. Try to be kind to yourself!
They were not curled. They were just floating... naturally shaped. Thank you so much. I was devastated. Those were his babies. He still has a butterfly koi and some other type of koi left. The butterfly is his baby. I'm praying those 2 will make it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592581281249.gif
@Susan17
So sorry for the loss of the fish. Hopefully the other 2 will survive. Hoping your boyfriend can build them a much bigger pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello! I can only agree with what the others have said — this wasn’t your fault if indeed this pond is 100 gallons! Most experts recommend a minimum of 1000 gallons for the first koi, and an additional 250-350 gallons per koi. As @Lisak1 asked, are you sure they are koi and not fancy goldfish, I’m curious to know it the pond actually is only 100 gallons — or much larger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Susan17 - what do you mean by "oxygenator"? Do you mean an aerator - a pump with an air stone that creates bubbles? Or an underwater plant?

In any case I'm glad the other two are looking better, but long term this is going to be an ongoing issue IF this is indeed a 100 gallon pond and IF these are indeed koi. I'm only still questioning that because at the rate koi grow, after four years they would be way too large for a 100 gallon space. Post some photos!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Susan17 - what do you mean by "oxygenator"? Do you mean an aerator - a pump with an air stone that creates bubbles? Or an underwater plant?

In any case I'm glad the other two are looking better, but long term this is going to be an ongoing issue IF this is indeed a 100 gallon pond and IF these are indeed koi. I'm only still questioning that because at the rate koi grow, after four years they would be way too large for a 100 gallon space. Post some photos!
Yea aerator. Haha. Sorry I didn't know the proper name here is a pic

Attachments

• 15929201638902319083807752633288.jpg
    15929201638902319083807752633288.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup. Those are indeed very lovely koi in a very, very tiny pond.

Please - don't take this personally but if your boyfriend really does love his fish he needs to start digging. Those fish need room to swim and LOTS more water to stay healthy. That size pond is well suited to a couple of goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yup. Those are indeed very lovely koi in a very, very tiny pond.

Please - don't take this personally but if your boyfriend really does love his fish he needs to start digging. Those fish need room to swim and LOTS more water to stay healthy. That size pond is well suited to a couple of goldfish.
He is going to build a bigger pond. He realized after the 2 dies he needed to do something. The aerator is just to hopefully help until he can get it built. Thank you for all your help.

Ask a Question