Koi dying- spring not eating yet

Reaction score
Our Koi are dying and I need help.They have not started to eat yet - pond still too cold. We have lost two so far and two are in the bathtub...sunk to the bottom on their sides. I tried peas but they aren't eating. Our oldest Koi has a bit of what looks like a fungus. Our pond is big.... haven't checked the condition of the water - have no clue what that should be. we are newbies at this. we have had our Koi for 3 years and this is the first time this has happened. they winter in the pond and previously have been ok. Help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First thing you should do is check your water, see what the levels are. That may be part of your problem.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
PH is pretty good, what are your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, (GH) General hardness, (KH) Carbonate hardness These are essentila test that you need to test regularly and should keep as stable as possible. The first three should be as close to zero reading as possible. not eating and fungus are signs of deteriating water conditions, are there leaves and silt/much build up in the bottom? This time of year everyone should be checking water conditions and be prepared to make adjustments as needed.

Reaction score
There's dozens and dozens of things that may have caused these fish to die. But because so many fish are evolved I would bet poor water quality. The normal thing to do is latch on to the first bit of info you hear, assume the problem must be that, and start throwing stuff at the water and fish. Good way to kill fish. They have a better chance on their own.

I suggest doing some research on KH, GH, pH buffering, ammonia and nitrates levels. Probably won't help these fish, but maybe the next batch.

I hesitate to mention it but slowly increasing the water temp to 75F or so can get the fish's own immune system going. It shuts down at low temps. Add an air pump/stone and net the tank so they can't jump out. When in a tank or tub they need 0 ammonia and nitrite levels and a water or air pump to move water to keep O2 up. Please don't do this if you don't fully understand all the elements as the fish would surely die.

Ask a Question