Koi eating my floating plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My koi are eating my floating plants. I knew they might nipple but I just added the plants and would guess they are half gone in less than a week. Is there anything I can do or is there something I might feed them to keep them from destroying my plants. It is a mighty expensive lunch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most make a floating net for the plants.

My goldfish leave my plants alone. They nibble but they don't inhale

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have added a ton of plants lately and have no inhalers. Are you feeding your fish? I know a lot of people on here don’t at one time or another and all have their reasons but I think that if there is not enough on the menu it is open season on the plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have added a ton of plants lately and have no inhalers. Are you feeding your fish?
No I don't feed them except maybe once or twice a summer, just to get them to come running so I take a good look at them. If they are eating enough of the plants to harm them I sure can't see any damage.
It keeps the fry load down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use floating nets to protect my floating plant roots. When the plants multiply, then I'll let some float freely. If I don't do that, they will eat every root. You can buy floating nets or make them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
My fishes never leave anything now , many factors i guess , its environment , if too many fishes or smaller pond or warmer climate , its also habit or they learnt from each other ,if one or 2 fishes started in earlier days then all will learn and becomes habit , i had plants in start for few years and they were fine , one morning a fish thought we should try them they look tasty lol after that others followed them and now they wont leave anything , i tried even very stiff large water lily , they ate it too . You can make a portion with barrier of net or from rocks and stuff where bigger fishes cant enter , or go for above water plants , i have them , they do same job . I dont think feeding them alot will solve it , 1st of all ur pond and filter will be over burdened with that much feeding and im sure u can never fill there bellies , if they have developed habbit they will still destroy plants .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Set up a bin separate, fill with pond water. Add a handful of duck weed to the bin, let it multiply, toss handfuls to fish as it multiplies, just top off with fresh pond water as needed. I started with just a pinch of duck weed left over from last year, I now have a thick mat of it covering a 2’x3’ pond bin. I have to pull out handfuls regular, which I give to a friend for his fish to eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use floating nets to protect my floating plant roots. When the plants multiply, then I'll let some float freely. If I don't do that, they will eat every root. You can buy floating nets or make them.
I loved my floating nets and wish I could use them, but several times I found one of my koi in them! I guess they were after the plants, I have no idea....but I was afraid they'd hurt themselves thrashing about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I loved my floating nets and wish I could use them, but several times I found one of my koi in them! I guess they were after the plants, I have no idea....but I was afraid they'd hurt themselves thrashing about.
Luckily I have never had that happen. They usually go under the nets trying to suck the roots through.
My hyacinths and water lettuce have finally multiplied enough that I pulled some out of the nets and let them float freely.
I also have some fairy moss and water lettuce growing in the bog where there is a bit of water higher than the gravel. Those fish can't get them!

Reaction score
koi will devour water hyacinth, we rotate our hyacinth back and forth from our bio
pond to our main pond to rejuvenate them. It’s a battle...Try keeping some in large
tubs, like 5 gallon buckets and rotate them every couple of days...I call it going to hyacinth
rehab.

They do not bother water lettuce, do you have water lettuce?

Reaction score
water lettuce...

18557BB7-C620-45DE-B1A1-7A6138D7F083.jpeg

Ask a Question