Koi eggs laid Monday April

Reaction score
So I notice a ton of koi eggs I'm my pond Monday morning so I set up a 10 gal tank for
The eggs I took out didnt think they were fertilize well now they have eyes and Move around so yea sweet. So the egg yolk should it be boiled or not also would fresh hatched sea monkeys work better?

Pics
c3cd5509.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
get the brine shrimp cranked up the day after the koi hatch, this will have the new brine shrimp ready for the babies when they start free swimming. the best thing you can start them off with is green water. seriously we usually want to avoid green water but baby koi love it and will grow and start eating brine shrimp faster when they have green water to start off with.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for any and all advice ahead of time I'm workin on making green water in my 55 gallon outside shame I just cleared my pond last weekish but I can make it green quick hopefully

Reaction score
Here's pics of the green water I'm working on should good in 24 hours one jar has ground Lilly tht sat I'm the sun for a few hours filtered out larger and medium pieces of the plant so it won't rot but kept the more fine stuff for food for the litte critters the middle with the beer bottle is less chopped Lilly leafs with beer to speed up the break down as opposed to using a blender and the big pickle jug is less filtered blender ground lilly so well see just in case I have de capusaled live brine I use for feeding my zoanthids hatch tank pics next

4ce7c519.jpg

Reaction score
Here's the hatching setup sterilizing the water and removing any and all bad eggs and running pump will slow pump down to trickle when hatching begans

Babbies all have eyes cept a few will remove if they don't progress as to prevent rotting in my baby tank
8aedbcdc.jpg

Here's the setup in full simple clean sterile
16da7a5c.jpg

Reaction score
I'm gonna take the plants out in the morning and suck all the trash off the bottom of the tank and do 1 gallon water changes a day. My green water has turned brown so I'm guessing it'll be green when the live food takes over how long should it take the water to go from brown to green or should it not have turned brown anybody know.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
green water is a plus but not at all a neccessity...i dont use green water , i just start them on live brine shrimp on their second day...their first day they'll feed on the egg sack. but you can feed decapsulated brine shimp eggs with or without hatching them out.

Reaction score
So day 1 of all my fry being hatched I counted 107 at noon today picked up about 4 gallons of green water from Jefferson feed they were more than happy to help me and bought some anacaris to put n my 55 gallon planted tank in my back yard by my pool hopefully when the baby's can eat dried food or frozen food they can grow up outside till I figure out what to do with them only have 107 so won't have any need to cull not into killing fish because their ugly got plenty of good homes for all but for the next 6 months I'll hand feed and raise them I'm gonna be honest I bought to koi 2 days b4 a full moon and got really lucky other then that I'm learning as I go sometimes it's better to be lucky now here's the pics. Group shot of
70989461.jpg

Pic of the 55 gallon outdoor planted tank working on gettin paramecium.
5d506be6.jpg

Reaction score
So it's been about 12 hours since the eggs first started hatching just been hanging on the aquarium wall I've been removing any bugs the got thru my first filter process of the green water a bunch of large red fry look like killers only a few came in but still pulled em my thing is if they R small enuf to be eaten by the koi they stay if to big I save them to feed to the fry when larger according to the rules I have beteen 12-24 more hours till they can eat because they still do not have mouths most of them no longer have the yolk sac on their bellys most are stream line speak thin fish with eyes tht seem way big and from what Ive read everything is progressing nicely Gonna try frozen rotifers and egg yolk and decap brine then in 2-4 days I'll give large live food but would like to use more easily avaiable pellets and flakes and frozen stuff. Sorry for the rant but as always here's the pics I owe y'all 12 hours young
Group shot
f100e326.jpg

Up close 12 hour old koi fry
8d482f0e.jpg

sponge is about an inch and a half for reference
4645f084.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cute little teesny critters.........hope they make it w/ all your help!

Ask a Question