Koi emergency?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My oldest and biggest koi keeps laying on the bottom of the pond and rolling to one side. I'm terrified I'm going to lose him. From what I've read, it sounds like he's got a swim bladder problem. I've checked the water parameters, PH, ammonia, nitrates and salt levels. They aren't perfect but not terrible either. I've done a partial water change while feeding him some cooked and peeled peas. What else can I do? I don't want to lose him.
20230511_194829.jpg
20230511_194231.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
@koicrazy
So sorry this is happening to your beautiful koi and hope it can be helped.
Maybe post more info on your water tests and give more info on size of pond, kind of filter and how many fish and their size,is it eating etc. I'm no expert on fish diseases so I will leave this to others w/more experience.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for asking
He's up and swimming around at the moment. PH is currently 8.13 salt level is high so I've been doing water changes, currently at 0.63!
Ammonia test tube showed 0 and so did nitrate test.
It's a 1200 gal pond and I currently have 9 fish, 4 gold fish and 5 koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1200 gallon

Attachments

• 16839268799416359710643287401900.jpg
    16839268799416359710643287401900.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stop the salt . That was yesteryear. Yes fish can tolerate a minimal dose just like us but long term can start to cause problems. There is a company that is still selling antibiotics and others called Jase medical I would go to there site and ask them what they think and get a kit.
But in the mean time try adding start right or stress coat. From the aquarium trades.. follow the directions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stop the salt . That was yesteryear. Yes fish can tolerate a minimal dose just like us but long term can start to cause problems. There is a company that is still selling antibiotics and others called Jase medical I would go to there site and ask them what they think and get a kit.
But in the mean time try adding start right or stress coat. From the aquarium trades.. follow the directions
I've ordered both of these (stress coat and start right) to arrive tomorrow, can they be used together?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Three days now, swim, swim. Lay on bottom and roll to one side, lay on bottom and roll to one side.
He's still interested in eating but has only had a few peas today.
We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What scare me is the salt level was high after a water change. How high did it get.
I tried some Wipe Out today too and doing another water change.
what is wipe out????????

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would be careful of adding so many treatments to your pond, especially doing them all at once. You don't want to add more stress to a fish that is already obviously stressed.

And yes, get rid of the salt, all of it. It is not needed for freshwater fish and things it used to be effective to treat have gotten immune to it because of overuse.

Also, people are asking for nitrite results, not nitrate.

Slow down a bit, keep doing water changes to reduce the salt level until it's gone. Then see how your fish responds.

Good luck.

Ask a Question