Koi fish are not active and hide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I’m posting on here again because I didn’t get an answer last time. I got two 3 inch koi about a month ago. For the first 2-3 weeks they we’re hiding a lot and I barely saw them. They we’re also always at the bottom because it was a bit cold. Then, about 10 days ago, one of the fish started being super active and swimming to the surface when it was super hot out. When I was next to the pond he would even approach me. He continued to do so for a few days. The other one however just stayed at the bottom and was not very active. Then, a few days ago, the active fish started acting like the inactive one. Hides, stays in one spot, doesn’t move much. I’ve seen both these fish swim quickly when they’re scared. Question is, what is causing all of this? I get them hiding when I come next to the pond, but even when they don’t see me they’re hiding. I have a pump filtration system, there’s a fountain that runs consistently, and the pond is about 400 gallons which is obviously enough for two 3 inch kois. Someone help please!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m sorry that your question wasn’t answered, but we were at a stage of trying to get information about your pond. Some questions are better answered when we know what’s going on with the fish.

It’s normal for new fish to want to hide. Giving them good places to hide can boost their confidence. Sometimes it can take weeks for them to show up.

But my concern, though, is with the size of your pond and I wonder if the water quality might be an issue as well. Four hundred gallons is not healthy for koi — not even for a single koi. Koi are fish that produce a lot of waste, and in a smaller pond, this waste can quickly be too much for your biological filter to be able to handle. You can’t judge water quality by what it looks like, so do you have any way to test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH?

Pictures of your pond might help, as well.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’m sorry that your question wasn’t answered, but we were at a stage of trying to get information about your pond. Some questions are better answered when we know what’s going on with the fish.

It’s normal for new fish to want to hide. Giving them good places to hide can boost their confidence. Sometimes it can take weeks for them to show up.

But my concern, though, is with the size of your pond and I wonder if the water quality might be an issue as well. Four hundred gallons is not healthy for koi — not even for a single koi. Koi are fish that produce a lot of waste, and in a smaller pond, this waste can quickly be too much for your biological filter to be able to handle. You can’t judge water quality by what it looks like, so do you have any way to test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH?

Hey! Thanks a lot. I don’t think I have anything to check the water quality. I’m looking into it. Moreover, I read online that a koi should be in 250 gallons. Since my koi’s are 3 inches, I assumed they’d be fine? They are very small for that pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

For some reason I’m unable to drop pictures on here. I did, however, post a picture in the last thread I created.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure where you read online that 250 gallons was ok for koi. You can't believe everything you see on the internet. I'm sure there are probably some that say you can keep koi in a fish tank. 1000 gallons is the standard amount for 1 koi. Your 3" koi can be well over 18" next year.

Get a test kit, drops, not strips. Ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and kh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My goldfish stay in the shade at the bottom during the day, and are active in the early morning and evening. Goldfish and koi are a type of carp, which tend to be bottom dwellers. Might it be normal behavior? Your pond is probably large enough right now, but won’t be by next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe as it gets hotter they are not getting enough oxygen.. put an air supple in and soo if they perk up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are about 12 reasons why this could be.
pond is 400 gallons but shallow and is getting heated up
its not so shallow and still getting heated up
low amounts of dissolved oxygen
3 inch fish are cheap because 2 out of ten survive to be a foot long
parasites
sleeping disease
water quality such as ph is to low or to high
ammonia nitrites or nitrates can be high.
are you using dechlorinate
are you using any multitude of water clarifiers or algicide
No bacteria in the pond to help neutralize the host of possible problems

go get a test kit for the basics and i would also look for a book on basic fish keeping

Ask a Question