United States
Can someone please help identify what’s wrong with my fish

Attachments

• CDB1C10C-42B8-476A-A44E-8E51F941BF73.jpeg
    CDB1C10C-42B8-476A-A44E-8E51F941BF73.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Off the top of my head, it appears to be a fungal issue, but we need so much more information. Tell us about your pond, how big, how many fish, how old is the pond, how is it filtered, do any other fish show symptoms, etc. The more info you can share the more helpful the responses will be.

Welcome to the GPF by the way - hopefully we can help sort this one out and you'll stick around to share and enjoy talking ponds with us!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response! The pond is about 800 gallons. I’ve had 8 fish at one point but lost 2 and I don’t know why. The other 2 didn’t have these symptoms. There is a filter before the pump which is sort of a mesh plus an additional filter pad and one filter pad after the pump and before the waterfall. No other fish are showing symptoms. I had a raccoon attack recently but luckily I went out in time and didn’t lose any fish, however some fish had scratches. I had about 5 fish from last year and added 3 baby koi this year around 3 weeks ago. I’ve since added melafix, done a water change + water conditioner, done a water test and it turned out to be normal. I am hoping I can save this fish and not lose another one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A few things stand out to me from your response, the main one being that you have koi in a pond that’s just too small. That sets them up for disaster when water quality becomes unstable. Your fish may have suffered some wounds that appear to have allowed some fungus to start. You also added new fish - you don’t mention quarantine for the new fish , so I’ll guess you didn’t. All of these are obvious issues. Added to that is what sounds like insufficient filtration for a pond with koi. At 800 gallons most would tell high that your pond is too small for one koi, let alone 8. Sadly, I think You will continue to lose fish unless you reduce your fish load dramatically and up your filtration .

You said your water test was normal - can you post actual results?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with @Lisak1 your pond is better suited for shubunkins, goldfish, fan tails. Koi get huge and demand good water/filtration etc

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1566660438637.gif
@sapnads
Sorry about your fish issues and perhaps the scratches the raccoons made have fungus growing in them now.
I don't have any recommendations for treatment tho. Perhaps someone else will. Perhaps that Melafix will help. I remember using that in aquariums I have had in the past. You may have to start digging a bigger pond for all those koi that will not be happy in that small pond.

Ask a Question