Koi Fish Dying

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All, my water quality is excellent but my Koi fish are dying off slowly. Every 3 or 4 weeks one dies.
It starts with the scales dropping off and then within a week or so it seems to go whitish with some sort of growth. Also it looks like the fish tail goes red.
I have never had any problems in 15 years.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190928_112426.jpg
    20190928_112426.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 20190928_112432.jpg
    20190928_112432.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 224
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Hi All, my water quality is excellent but my Koi fish are dying off slowly. Every 3 or 4 weeks one dies.
It starts with the scales dropping off and then within a week or so it seems to go whitish with some sort of growth. Also it looks like the fish tail goes red.
I have never had any problems in 15 years.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Oh Dear that looks awful.
It looks like a bacterial infection to me. At the moment do all the other fish look ok? No signs of distress with them? Are the others eating ok? and they are definately dying one at a time with a few weeks between? Did you introduce anything new a few weeks before this started to happen?
Ray

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks Ray, i only have 2 fish left out of 12, so 10 have died and the 2 left seem OK and are eating. I haven't introduced anything new and the pond with those fish have been going for 15 years. The pond had been successful producing thousands of eggs every year.It is strange that its weeks in between, healthy one day and dead within the next couple of days. Unfortunately i live in the only state in Australia which you are not allowed to keep Koi in otherwise i would have had a vet over in a heart beat and at any cost. I'm heart broken at the moment having had those fish from about 2" and now they are all/were over 20".
Ange

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks Ray, i only have 2 fish left out of 12, so 10 have died and the 2 left seem OK and are eating. I haven't introduced anything new and the pond with those fish have been going for 15 years. The pond had been successful producing thousands of eggs every year.It is strange that its weeks in between, healthy one day and dead within the next couple of days. Unfortunately i live in the only state in Australia which you are not allowed to keep Koi in otherwise i would have had a vet over in a heart beat and at any cost. I'm heart broken at the moment having had those fish from about 2" and now they are all/were over 20".
Ange
Oh dear such a tragedy. Have you added any chemicals at all? Any medicines etc?
I am also in Australia and was unaware that any state prohibited Koi?
Ray

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm in Victoria. I wouldn't know what chemicals to add unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Oh dear such a tragedy. Have you added any chemicals at all? Any medicines etc?
I am also in Australia and was unaware that any state prohibited Koi?
Ray
I would add Melafix in accordance with the instructions as soon as you can.
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
you can get Melafix at any pet store. It is a really gentle and natural antibiotic. It does not kill good bacteria if used correctly. I would use it in your case given there is no accurate diagnosis.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello Ange- So sorry for the loss of your fish! I agree with Ray G about it being a bacterial issue. If you can get the Melafix and possibly Pimafix, those would be good treatments.
As to why your koi are dying- can you give us the information on your pond? Size of pond, GPH of pumps, filtration, actual test results and you said your koi laid thousands of eggs, do you have any other than the 2 left?
The one thing that always changes in a pond over time is the size of the fish! A 4" koi produces very little waste- a 20" can overwhelm a filter quickly!
Is it possible that something has washed into the pond or been sprayed nearby that could have been harmful- pesticides, herbicides?
Again- so sorry for the lost fish-

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1570979552826.gif
@Ange
Very sorry for you losing your fish. Hope you can somehow save the last two. I guess we never know what kind of germs can enter our pond, from possible birds flying over,landing in or near the water or who knows?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You mentioned your water quality was excellent, do you own a microscope ? If so, I'd do a scrape and scope on the remaining two fish for parasites. Secondary bacterial infections can develop where they enter the fish, ad the infection spread, becoming an ulcer.

I agree with above advice about adding a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like Melafix. I'm really sorry for what you're going through and it's particularly frustrating to not be able to keep koi in your country.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum, good advice above. I have never had koi so can't really help with diseases.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
you can get Melafix at any pet store. It is a really gentle and natural antibiotic. It does not kill good bacteria if used correctly. I would use it in your case given there is no accurate diagnosis.
Thanks mate . i will get some Melafix this morning.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello Ange- So sorry for the loss of your fish! I agree with Ray G about it being a bacterial issue. If you can get the Melafix and possibly Pimafix, those would be good treatments.
As to why your koi are dying- can you give us the information on your pond? Size of pond, GPH of pumps, filtration, actual test results and you said your koi laid thousands of eggs, do you have any other than the 2 left?
The one thing that always changes in a pond over time is the size of the fish! A 4" koi produces very little waste- a 20" can overwhelm a filter quickly!
Is it possible that something has washed into the pond or been sprayed nearby that could have been harmful- pesticides, herbicides?
Again- so sorry for the lost fish-
Thanks. The pond is 2000 litres with a 4000 litre gravity filter. When they have there yearly spawn i don't separate the eggs, so therefore they quickly get eaten up and become fish food. I have maintained a balance of about 12 fish not to over crowd the pond and they have been at the size they are for the last 3 years. I will get some Melafix and give it a go on the last 2 fish.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You mentioned your water quality was excellent, do you own a microscope ? If so, I'd do a scrape and scope on the remaining two fish for parasites. Secondary bacterial infections can develop where they enter the fish, ad the infection spread, becoming an ulcer.

I agree with above advice about adding a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment like Melafix. I'm really sorry for what you're going through and it's particularly frustrating to not be able to keep koi in your country.
Thanks. They are legal in most states of Australia but not Victoria where i live. its ridiculous.

Ask a Question