Koi Fish Dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks. They are legal in most states of Australia but not Victoria where i live. its ridiculous.
Yes it is! Try goldfish as there are many types and colours now and many look like koi in body shape.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes it is! Try goldfish as there are many types and colours now and many look like koi in body shape.
I might try Goldfish. The only thing is that they don,t get to the same size of Koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I might try Goldfish. The only thing is that they don,t get to the same size of Koi.
Do you have shubunkin? They grow fairly large ( not as big as koi ) and are quite beautiful with long flowing fins.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shubunkins are really pretty, easy to care for.
20190421_130505.jpg
20190421_130557.jpg
20160912_122713.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Did you get the Melafix and use it? Keep us informed as to what happens please as we are here to help and we all learn from others.

Ray

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Did you get the Melafix and use it? Keep us informed as to what happens please as we are here to help and we all learn from others.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I have started treatment with Melafix and Pimafix at the same time as recommended by the pet shop man. i will let you know how i go. Also i was wondering if it could be parasites and will Melafix/ Pimafix help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Thanks Ray, I have started treatment with Melafix and Pimafix at the same time as recommended by the pet shop man. i will let you know how i go. Also i was wondering if it could be parasites and will Melafix/ Pimafix help.
If it were parasites they would likey have all got sick at roughly the same time. Also fish flick against things usually if parasites as their skin is irritated. So I think at this stage I would just treat with what you are doing and wait. No that wont kill parasites but not sure you have them yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with most of what you said @Ray G except the part about all the fish getting sick at once. You may remember our parasite problem that knocked off one or two fish a day. And internal parasites show no external signs. The dead fish look perfectly healthy. (And we’re just assuming it was parasites that was killing our fish because the treatment worked 100%. )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, my water quality is excellent but my Koi fish are dying off slowly. Every 3 or 4 weeks one dies.
It starts with the scales dropping off and then within a week or so it seems to go whitish with some sort of growth. Also it looks like the fish tail goes red.
I have never had any problems in 15 years.
Any help would be much appreciated.
could be KHV. Highly contagious.
Are the eye sunken and sores around the gills?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Yep could be KHV but the poster said nothing new was added and they have been there for 15 years. Also KHV does not usually look like the photos posted. agreed it is highly contagious but I would not suspect that in this case due to no new Koi and these have been there for 15 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I agree with most of what you said @Ray G except the part about all the fish getting sick at once. You may remember our parasite problem that knocked off one or two fish a day. And internal parasites show no external signs. The dead fish look perfectly healthy. (And we’re just assuming it was parasites that was killing our fish because the treatment worked 100%. )
Yes I do remember that tragic case with your parasites indeed! However this is happening every 4 weeks which is a bit slow for a parasite outbreak. Also the external saws near the tail and the tail being red still make me think it is bacterial.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Mr vip, No nothing around the gills or eyes.

Attachments

• 20190928_112426.jpg
    20190928_112426.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190928_112432.jpg
    20190928_112432.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 140

Ask a Question