Koi Fish Has Lumps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello, I have a Koi pond about 30 feet long and 5 or 7 feet wide. And one fish in the bunch has the LARGEST wary like lump on him. If you can please tell me what this is. Some people on the internet who talked about this only had TINY numbs and said they can spread so they said put those type fish down. But I love animals and it would kill me to use Clove Oil to put it down. I would rather just cut its head off with a razor or hit it with a shovel. Instead of a painful slow death by suffocating. But anyways if I have to save the other fish by putting one down I will. Just tell me what it is.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
By far the easiest non violent means to euthanise fish is ice water. It is instant and it is what I recomend for this fish,which by the way is a comet. I have seen those lumps only on the Web or in books,I don't know what they are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It looks like some kind of tumor. How long has it had it. Does the fish behave normal, in terms of swimming and eating?

I don't believe clove oil, causes death by suffocation, but rather a deep sleep they don't wake from.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Clove oil is, without question, the best way to euthanize fish.
It appears to be a extreme case of fish pox that has transitioned into a tumor. It is not contagious, but is cause by poor water quality, so other fish could be affected.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It eats fine swims great! Does not have any problems other than that disgusting lump. We actually have another fish in there who is actually blind, you can put food on the water and he just sits there and eats algae then when he sees it he eats in the wrong area he misses teh food by an inch. But he eventually gets it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The size of the tumor has actually GROWN since i posted this. It almost looks as if it would just fall off. We have one fish and she was the mother. She had about 13 Kids and only 2 made it through the males eating everything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would use clove oil, cut it off at the base and leave the fish in clean water for 3 days then put it back. It may survive and the tumor may not grow back. Not all tumors are malignant and not all are inclined to grow back fully after being cut. Cutting at the base may just remove enough of the base tissue to cause the regrowth to occur slowly and not reach a large size.

Ask a Question