KOI fish NIbbling Goldfish??

Reaction score
It's been a couple of days since i added our koi fish with 5 goldfish....

but now im starting to notice that the koi fish are starting to nibble of the Goldfish fins

not only that but this week just 2 died

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Kio seen to nibble a lot of stuff. I have just goldies, but someone might be able to help you with this

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think we need more info spidolover ...how big is the pond and how new also how many fish, water temps, and are you feeding your fish ..plus are you testing your water ?

Reaction score
I have heard from someone else that said they had seen a similar thing with the Koi nipping at the goldies. I have had them together for years and never had anything like that. I even have a comet with one of the most beautiful tails I have ever seen with Koi.
It could be the gold fish have eggs and the male koi are trying to spawn with them. Are they just nipping at them or are they nudging them around also? Female Koi can get beat up really bad, and reportedly die, from spawning. A bigger male Koi could kill a pregnant smaller female gold fish if they are in spawning mode just by trying to get the eggs out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and goldfish and have never seen my fish do this .Like they said here how many fish what is the water temp.and are you feeding them .The water was dirty has it cleared up .If they are spawning I have heard of that also rsfish but have never seen my fish do it .But have read a lot about it on the internet .I have had my koi and goldfish together for 6 years and have never lost one ,keeping my fingers crossed on that and hope it never happens

Reaction score
What died? Koi or goldfish? Which are the new fish? Did you quarantine the new fish? If you brought in new fish and they are dying, you might have bought sick fish. It's not unusual for fish to nibble at dying fish.

I'd take the victims out of the pond and put them in a tank for observation.

Reaction score
it has 9 koi and 5 goldfish

we put in the 5 goldfish first and then we waited a week to put in the koi

yes we are feeding them and yes

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if the pond is crowded that may cause because I have noticed koi are will attack things like frogs or even eat there babies if the pond is not big enough they can not tell the difference between food and other fish .All fish are little piggies .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats an a lot of fish or is me stroppy does that seem like a lot to you .I know my with my pond I always give away babies because there are to many .koi get big really big one of mine is around 2 feet and she is 6 years old

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think it was a lot to put in if just starting a pond ...a week is no where near long enough for the filters to be able to get rid of ammonia.... especially if its a small pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thinking her best bet before they all die is get tank to try and save fish .I waited almost 2 month's before I added fish and to me koi are harder to maintain as they get bigger faster and goldfish are much easier .If I did it over I would stay with goldfish

Reaction score
No matter what has got you to where you are now, it's time to take some reasonable action to try and make things as good as possible. I did not see how big your pond is. If it is overloaded here are some tips for helping it to keep going well. Until the bio gets going, monitor the water with a testing kit and do some 20% water changes even if you cannot get it tested. if you are using city water please make sure to dechlorinate the water so you do not hurt or kill your fish. I do not remember exactly who said it and where, but you can have as many fish in a pond as you want, as long as the filtration is overboard for the pond size.

Like any animals, sometimes you get one that is "Alpha" personality and they want to set their territory. Koi are no different. I am still guessing it may have to do with spawning.

For the dead fish, any signs of why they died? Can you take some pictures of the recently deceased? There may be something we see on the dead fish to help identify the real issue. Where did you get the new fish from?

Hopefulyy we cna help you find a cause and possibly a solution. Keeping fish should not be this stressful for you. Don't give up and maybe we can help so you can enjoy this fun hobby.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let us know the size of your pond and how your are filtering it so we can help you better.

And like said above have you tested your water? I lost some goldies when I first put some fish in my pond. My water is very acidic and I didn't test the water before putting the fish in. Now test all the time since our well is acidic.

Ask a Question