koi flashing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay:
I only saw flashing once. I don't see any visible parasites. Coloration looks pretty normal. No clamped fins. Definitely some lethargy as they are not asking for food and are mostly staying in one spot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the weather has changed recently. A couple of weeks ago we were getting 40 degree days and now it has been 60s to 70s every day. I will go check the water temperature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did feed them up until yesterday when they stopped asking. I had fed them for about 3 days before that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmmm....it is from last year actually. But my goldfish in my other pond are doing fine with it. And would that cause flashing?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmm....it is from last year actually. But my goldfish in my other pond are doing fine with it. And would that cause flashing?

No, but old food can cause digestive tract problems and cause them to cease eating and be lethargic.

Pondkeepers put too much importance on the occasional 'flashing' behavior of fish. Everyone has scratched the occasional itch. It does not mean that we have parasites! Intense continuous 'flashing', however, does indicate the presence of an irritant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Please help guys...I can't lose these fish.

It would help if we had an overall picture of your pond and maintenance regime.
Pond size/filtration/maintenance regime/water test results.
What chemicals or additives have you used?
Pictures always help.

Leaving out details makes it difficult to solve a problem.
You've been asked for details in the past and didn't reply.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have posted something on here that works and dr foster and smith carries it and have 29 dollar shipping plus 15 % off .It works believe me I have been testing it and amazed .It is called hydroplex

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have posted something on here that works and dr foster and smith carries it and have 29 dollar shipping plus 15 % off .It works believe me I have been testing it and amazed .It is called hydroplex

How do you know that it works? Has it actually cleared an infected fish of parasites?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Leaving out details makes it difficult to solve a problem.
You've been asked for details in the past and didn't reply.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have...I'm not intentionally leaving out details, so if I haven't replied to a question, it's an accident.

Pond size: 5000 gallon above-ground tub; filled to about 2500 or 3000 gallons
Filtration: large pressure filter, but with an insufficient pump (I have a new pump coming tomorrow that will be far better). Also have an aerator in.
Maintenance regime: As we are just coming out of winter, I haven't done much yet. I intended to do a full pond clean out this week, but now I'm thinking it's better to wait. Aside from that, my typical spring and summer maintenance would be biweekly water changes of about 15%
Water test results: Ammonia 0ppm and I still have to check everything else
Chemicals or additives: I haven't added any for months. I did put an aquasphere pro in there a couple of days ago, but that's all natural ingredients. I occasionally add Pond Prime for water changes, but again, that hasn't been for months due to winter.

Did you want a literal picture as well or were you referring to a more complete written picture?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks Jenny. I was referring to an actual picture.
When you do have the other water test results, please post them.
The Aquasphere product states that it requires adequate aeration during it's use, so It's good that you have an aerator running.

Ask a Question