Koi food recommendations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I was feeding my koi Dr. Foster and Smith staple koi food--they loved it. Of course as we know, Petco took over DF&S recently and I don't see that particular brand of food anymore on the Petco website. They have Kaytee, API, TetraPond, Hikari. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think the live aquaria branch of Drs. F&S has remained "open", and they currently have a supply of those foods.

But if for some reason they quit carrying it, I will face the same issue once my current supply of Drs. F&S staple and cool weather food run out. Fortunately, when I first purchased those foods I had compared the labels with other brands, and Blackwater koi foods are a near match. So, even though it is much more expensive than the Drs. F&S brand, I'll probably go with that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Right, LiveAquaria still carries DFS. From a quick check, it looks like Blackwater Creek is less expensive ($15 for 5 lbs vs $22)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use Blue Ridge color growth food and the Microbe-lift blend. Both from Webbs
I was having the same problem and just took your recommendations on what foods to order. It looks like the prices are much better on Webbs. This is my first order from them and they sent a discount code email too. It looks like Petco raised the prices on the Dr. Foster and Smith products. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Country
United States
here is where i get my food. Arthurs aquatics 32% protein to a whopping 50% protein all sizes of pellets to choose from.check out the wafers also your fish will thank you !!! with FREE shipping....

Ask a Question