Koi food. So many questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!

So im puting together stock tank with filter to grow some plants and keep some plants in the winter also a small quarantine. The tank will have a heater to keep the water warm. I have 2 small koi that I acquired and they are rather small but I love the color and want to see them bigger. My question. What should I feed them? Do I get some food that promotes growth or should I get just plain fish food and feed them more. Right now my small butterfly and goldfish in the pond when the temp is right just get tetra pond flakes and I want to upgrade there food this spring. Should I get a few bags like wheat germ and some food with a good scource of protein? Should I not even bother with any food that claims to help with growth and color? Or is it worth it even if it helps a little im willing to try it.

Thank you all!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I did a comparison years ago when I was breeding tropical fish. Separated a spawn of Kribensis, I think it was, into two tanks, and fed one on TetraMin staple flakes and the other on TetraMin Growth food. The fry fed on the growth food grew considerably faster than the 'staple' ones. Many years ago, but worth considering.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm deffinetly going to try that later! I'll pull the trigger and grab some growth and color food. Now im excited to try it! Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd pass on the color food.
I used Hai Feng Quick Grow and had good growth even in the winter when the water temps were 53F.
These Koi grew from 4" to 28" and 30" in just a few years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We use a good high protein koi food from late spring to early autumn when your koi should then switch to a wheatgerm and garlic mix .
The high protien food promotes good growth colour lustre etc , however what size stock tank do you have your two small koi in , I ask because with the high protein food they really tend to grow fast , you can also every now and again give them an alternate food please feel free to use my article when it comes to alternate foods :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi.4/

I hope this helps you

Dave

Ask a Question