koi fry growth

Reaction score
how fast to koi fry grow, from 1" onward? found a site that sells koi fry 1" for £0.46 each, with a minimum order of only 20. was going to buy some fry and put them in my minnow pond to grow on and sell to my local watergarden centre.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Most breeders get there koi to 4"-5" in the first year and then sell. In some cases you can see more growth and in some less but this is about a good average for 1 year old Koi fry. Beware, 1" fry don't ship well, they are still very fragile at this size. I wouldn't buy online at that size, buying from someone local and moving them I might consider but shipping them I feel like they are really still to small.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Most breeders get there koi to 4"-5" in the first year and then sell. In some cases you can see more growth and in some less but this is about a good average for 1 year old Koi fry. Beware, 1" fry don't ship well, they are still very fragile at this size. I wouldn't buy online at that size, buying from someone local and moving them I might consider but shipping them I feel like they are really still to small.

the place is only 2-3 hours drive away

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you can pick them up I feel like you'll have a lot better chance at getting them there alive. One thing you really need to try and do is match the water parameters as close as possible to the pond they are coming from to yours, fry are very easily stressed to new water, aged water and stable water conditions are very important, Good luck! It's a very rewarding challange, You'll get to see the color develope and get some good experience trying this.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
If you can pick them up I feel like you'll have a lot better chance at getting them there alive. One thing you really need to try and do is match the water parameters as close as possible to the pond they are coming from to yours, fry are very easily stressed to new water, aged water and stable water conditions are very important, Good luck! It's a very rewarding challange, You'll get to see the color develope and get some good experience trying this.

well the minnows have been breeding in this pond for about 3 years or so now, so the water should be built properly now. il post a blog on the fry growth asap :)

Reaction score
im also digging a pond for my someone via request, and my relative thats doing my electrical part of my pond will do theirs. so we will split half the profit.
I'l keep this blogged too. going to have to rip a bush and chesnut tree out, not going to be a quick job!

Ask a Question