koi fry missing tails, disease?

Reaction score
Hi
This is our first experience with trying to raise some koi fry in aquariums inside. Have lost about 6 this week and have 2 still alive in another tank I'm referring to as my ICU. All have lost the ends of their tails. I'm wondering if I could have some disease going on. I did some reading and thought maybe I should try aquarium salt in case it might be tail or fin rot? My other question is weather the larger fry are attacking these smaller ones? There is such a difference in sizes of these fry. Some are almost 1 1/2 inches while some are probably only 1/2 inch. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Drdave raises a lot of koi, he would be the best to help you.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. We have no turtles with them, they are in aquarium tanks. I have separated them and bought some aquarium salt and added. I've never had any experience with fin rot but I've read about it some. If it is that, how long do you keep them in the salted water? It has turned the water so cloudy its hard for me to see them. I've read that they can grow their fins back, is that true? Thanks again.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If your water is cloudy, it is not the salt unless you OD'd it. If you did the fish would aleady be dead.

Reaction score
remember these are FRESHWATER koi so you have to add salt accordingly to the tank like my pond i add 99ibs and its 3400 gallons but like DrDave said if you OD'd they will be dead but you learn new things about koi all the time

:lol:~marino~:lol:

Ask a Question