Koi & Goldfish help

Reaction score
Need some help, came home this afternoon to find my koi and 3 goldfish laying in the side of the pond, they swim when i nudge them but return to the same spot and just sit there. Last night they were swimming around with lots of energy, they haven't really eaten alot, and didn't eat this afternoons meal (cleaned it out). The pond is only about 2 weeks old, as i enlarged it from 6x4x18" to 7'x11'x22"...up to today they have been fine. We had rain yesterday,less then 1/4 inch. Could the rain have messed up the water? PH was 7.5, no chlorine in the water. I have a skimmer (clean), filter falls with filters (clean)...there is some slight algae showing on the bottom and sides. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'd hate to lose these as I've already lost 3 Koi prior to the move to the larger pond. Thanks.

Scott in Louisiana :surfing:

rdk

Reaction score
I know from my short time with goldfish, that my goldfish hate change. Anything new in the pond bugs them. Maybe they are uneasy with a new big pond, and it will take some time to get use to it. RDK

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
are you doing water changes ..have you tested for amonia ?. what about the media you had in the other pond are you using it in your new pond ? oh and have you got an air stone in there ?

Reaction score
Did do water change, no ammonia or nitrates..Ph is good...filter media is new in both filters. No air stone....ended up losing all but 1 goldfish, who is still not looking good.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Post some photos of the one that is living. Take it out, lay it on it's side and get some close up photos with a macro lens if you have one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn sorry all your fish died. Someone here maybe able to help you figure out why.

Reaction score
Ok, well the last fish seems to be failing now. Swims on his side on the bottom and every once in awhile lunges up out of the water, still can't catch him as he darts away as soon as i get close to him. I have noticed a few scales in the water and he has some spots where it looks like he lost scales. Water is still good, no ammonia/nitrates or chlorine. I even added another pump to aerate the bottom of the pond..no changes...I'm really stumped....

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Tenacity, my friend, if you don't catch him and get the problem diagnosed, you might as well write him off now.

Reaction score
Did the water changes, all the fish died with the last one dying during the night..check him this morning..other then the missing few scales..no other marks or sores or anything on him....he looked like he always looked..so i dunno..should i do anything to the water before i buy anymore?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Did you examine him carefully to try and acertain the illness? If you buy more, just get a single goldfish and see if it makes it a month before you invest in fish that may not make it.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
LouisianaBigfoot said:
Did the water changes, all the fish died with the last one dying during the night..check him this morning..other then the missing few scales..no other marks or sores or anything on him....he looked like he always looked..so i dunno..should i do anything to the water before i buy anymore?

sorry you lost the last little guy i would be worried about putting anymore in there till you have cleaned it all incase it was some parasite .. i have read you bleech the pond first to clean it but i dont know enough to tell you how .. another thought with the weather getting colder it might be best till wait till spring before restocking

Ask a Question