Koi guy's floating rings

Reaction score
Thanks to Koiguy's DIY, I have two floating rings in my pond and recently put some hyacinth in them. The problem is, my Comets are jumping in routinely and trapping themselves. I check my pond so frequently that I let them out and thankfully no one has been hurt.
I have taken the hyacinth out as I cannot risk anyone getting hurt. I have never heard of this behavior with goldfish. I thought maybe they were hungry so I fed them a bit over the weekend. That does not appear to be the issue. They seem to just enjoy swimming beneath the roots. KoiGuy, I would love to know if you have ever experienced this?
Any ideas frmo the gang?
Thanks to all.
BR

Reaction score
hmmm! very interesting! I wonder if they are jumping in there to try to breed in the roots or something. They do find these roots tasty.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW no sir, i havent had that problem..but it is coming into spawning season so koikeepr might have something there...the idea is to keep the koi out not goldfish in.. fish like to spawn in the long soft fiberous roots, if its only one fish it may be a female trying to get away from the males chasing her...check the roots for eggs

Reaction score
Interesting. Will do.
I'll keep all informed. This weekend, when I am around all day, I will put the hyacinths back in the rings and see if I can catch them jumping in again. Maybe even get it on camera.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My koi have been jumping a lot. One landed in the floating island, fortunatley, I was there to rescue him.

I have been watching them and it appears they are trying to catch dragon flies as they hover over the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My goldfish were jumping in my floating ring a lot last year and they didn't mind swimming around in there eating everything in sight so I added another round black tubing on top of the other one to make it higher hoping they won't jump in this year. So far so good. I attached it with some wire to the bottom one. Should prolly have used plastic ties or fish line.......oh well it's still together. Seems as tho they do this when spawning time comes each year. :lol:

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly JW. had some extra irrigation tubing and used it right on top of the other. Will test it out when I can monitor the fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is a old thread but thought it important for anyone with floating rings to know about. Last year in my floating ring I also had fish trapped, I cut a hole in the bottom of mine and that worked great. The fish found there own way out. The hole was small so it still protected the roots. The hyacinth did great in it, had to actually remove a few, it did to well :)

I used a store bought ring, this is not saying Koiguys ring is the problem at all. I think they all could have a problem

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had my koi end up in my floating plant rings as well. Also had Big Mama (huge matriarch of the pond) get her head on the ring and pull it down so the plants would float out. Hubby thought it was cute!

Ask a Question