Koi hanging around filter and jumping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Maybe oxygen deprivation? Do you have an aerator? Or any splashing or vigorous water movement will help.
The fish might be looking for more oxygenated water near the filter due to the moving water.
They will jump out of the water sometimes, but if it's happening frequently, they might need oxygen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Are they hungry? My goldfish kept trying to leap up the falls into the bog before I realized they had cleaned out my new pond of all the edibles. Started feeding them and the jumping stopped completely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sometimes my fish hang out around the waterfall when I've stirred things up a bit - I think they find delicious little goodies coming over the falls. Have you started feeding them? Could they be spawning? My fish do all kinds of weird things when "the mood" hits!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe oxygen deprivation? Do you have an aerator? Or any splashing or vigorous water movement will help.
The fish might be looking for more oxygenated water near the filter due to the moving water.
They will jump out of the water sometimes, but if it's happening frequently, they might need oxygen.
I have water flow from a fall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are they hungry? My goldfish kept trying to leap up the falls into the bog before I realized they had cleaned out my new pond of all the edibles. Started feeding them and the jumping stopped completely.
[/QUOTE
Wait a second - are these koi still in an aquarium?
My koi have been in the pond for ab
Wait a second - are these koi still in an aquarium?
I do have one still in the tank he has a few more days till he go in with others. But im referring to the six in my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feed them pretty regularly don’t believe that would be the issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK and maybe 2500 gallons or so? Did you do anything in the pond that preceded this? Filter clean out? Swish some stuff around?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Test your water, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.... Just to make sure there isn't a toxic situation causing the fish to jump and hang out at the filter. Continue to watch the fish for any other activity that may look like stress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Fish jumping usually means the don't like the water chemistry OR they have something on their skin (parasites) OR they have sunburn and their skin is irritated. I think that is the three main reasons and it is not normal for Koi to do that.
How long have they been in the pond?

Ask a Question