koi has some bad abrasions, how do i treat them?

Reaction score
I think the topic says it. My dark blue koi (ghost) got a\little rambunctious a few days ago and hit one of the plant pots hard. Today I noticed damage to his side and have quarintined him. What do I need to do to help treat him and his wounds?
IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Sorry for the last image being blurry, He wouldn't hold still...Please any help is great, he is one of my favs.

Thanks!

Reaction score
I would treat the fish with mercurochrome (you can buy this at any pharmacy). Yep, it's that red stuff that your mom put on your skinned knee when you were a kid. This will help with any infection on the wound. You would then just let the wound heal and watch the fish carefully on a daily basis to take note that nothing nasty is happening with the affected area. You can also use some pond salt to help the fish build up a thick protective slime coat.

This fish just needs time to heal. Also, the fish may have a scar in this area.

Nigil, this is why I always say don't put anything inside the pond, as when fish get spooked they inevitably will bump into something and are liable to get hurt. Get the pots outta the water. Use floating plants instead (protect the roots with one of koiguys floating rings).

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Good advice from Koikeepr. If an infection develops, treat with tetracycline. Livestock suppliers have it really cheap. Your LFS will charge a small fortune for old stock.

Reaction score
a great suggestion, DrD! In fact, these are the types of things pond keepers should have at home ready to go in case they are needed.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you! I have him in a tank that I am treating now. It already looks less inflamed and red. Koikeeper, I usually keep my lillys in soft pot bags, and the one he hit was a not yet transferred one. Let me tell you it is now transferred! How long should I keep him in that tank (I was thinking at least 2-3weeks)? Thanks for you quick responses!

Reaction score
If in 2-3 weeks you see no infection having cropped up and you can start to see healing--then he should be good to put back in the pond. It's certainly not a requirement that he needs to be out of the pond, but a nice benefit if you can swing it for sure.

Yeah, those soft bags are great. No damage to the fish if he gets startled and bunks into it.

We look forward to hearing about the healing of your fish.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I lost the battle and he went to the big pond in the sky. The weird thing is he was doing much better and then he just up and died, to much stress I guess. At least I was able to try and save him and keep what ever was wrong with him from the rest of the fish. Thanks for all your help.....

Reaction score
Shame! Probably netting him stressed him...and if he was in the tank alone, that could have been another factor. Not sure if you had a friend in there to keep him company, but koi really do need a buddy as being alone stresses them as well.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Ask a Question