Koi hideing

Reaction score
Hi there

We have 11 small gold fish and 2 koi and 2 shubunkins. All of them stay at the bottom in a brick we have there when we walk up to the pond. If we stay by the side in one spot they will come out and move around. If we move they go hide. When we try to feed them. They take a long time to find the food. They never come up to us. The koi and shubunkins seem to follow the goldfish around when there in a big group..

Need help or ideas.

Reaction score
Just give them time, they will get used to their surroundings. Do you have lots of plants ( Lillie's, grasses etc)? This helps them feel safe, like they have a barrier between them and the big open whole in the sky :)
I think it's taken a couple years for my fish to get to the point that they follow me around the pond. I can mess around in the pond without them doing a "duck and run". I would suggest that when you feed them, do it the same way every time. Some people even ring a bell or knock on a rock lightly before they throw the food in, they will start associating that with you and food. You'll see as they grow they will be more obnoxious ;)

Reaction score
It just takes time and patience. I just sat quietly in the same spot every time I fed my fish. Every day (if you feed them every day). And I always feed them in the same spot.

Then I started splashing the water with my hand before I fed them to signal the feed. I did it every time. They come swimming like its the dinner bell.

Next I held the food in my hand submerged, now they eat from my hand. All of them. It just takes convincing one and they all follow.

Good luck. The key is starting slow and building confidence. It took about two months for mine to eat from my hand. But I have always followed that routine from their first day in the pond.

Reaction score
We normally feed them at the same end but the food floats to the other end.we normally just drop the food in. we have tried the splashing in one place. I dont think they see the food real fast. Cause it takes one of the small goldfish to find it then there all over it. A pond store here said they will eat anything and to try bread.They go crazy over it when they find it.

Its just one of those things that the pond stores make it sound easy that they will just get use to us..

Ps there are dogs next door that make noise everytime we come out our back door. and we have a small dog but he just goes to the edge and looks in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They will get use to you. I have dogs also that go right up to them, they almost go nose to nose. They follow me around the pond hoping for a handout. I would skip the bread idea. Bread is not great for them and white bread is the worst. Time is your best friend here. I go right in the pond to do maintenance and when I do some videos and they come right up to me, the small one even nibble on my feet.

Reaction score
Well i have a update, The fish were doing better, Then our pond water became dark green almost black. We were advised to move them out of the pond. I was moving them inside over the winter but i was wanting to do that later on but we moved them to a 290 gallon pool. Water is clearing up in the pool. I filtered the water when i transfered it worked well to get the algae balls out.

My problem now is the fish all hide on the edges of the pool and around the plants. and under my floating plants. Is this just a stock form us have to hunt them in the pond. That was the longest and most unfun thing i have ever done.

Ask a Question