Koi illness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help us our koi have been dying we have been trying everything we have lost about seven we have tried feeding them with peas we have had the water checked that seems alright they just turn over and last for a while like and then die we have been told to cover the pond with perspex to keep the cold out please can you help we would be very grateful

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

How big of pond, how many fish, how long has it been running. Did you do any water tests? What kind of filtration? Is your pond ice covered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum!

How big of pond, how many fish, how long has it been running. Did you do any water tests? What kind of filtration? Is your pond ice covered?
The size of the pond is 16ft by 3ft 4ins and about 2ft deep we have had a water test and that was OK, we had about 19 fish the biggest one was about 30 yrs old he was the first to die which was upsetting as my father started the pond and that was the first fish he bought, we have one pump going through a big filter and also a water feature the pond isn't covered in ice

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! So sorry! Thirty years is reaching the life expectancy of a koi. Maybe it was just his time to go.

Water tests “OK” really doesn’t give us enough information. Can you give us actual number results?

Your pond sounds like it’s just around or under 1000 US gallons. How many total fish are in this pond and have there been any fish added recently? That size pond is questionable for more than one koi.

It sounds like you are experiencing some serious water quality issues, and there might not be a one-size-fits-all solution. Fish can do fine until something tips the scale — such as a change in the number of fish or their sizes (the larger the fish grow, the more waste they produce), or a change in other conditions (weather....), so a pond that was fine a year ago can become toxic to the fish.

I wish I could help, but right now it sounds like you need to:
  • test your water
  • start water changes (use a dechlorinator if your water is treated)
  • reduce the fish load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! So sorry! Thirty years is reaching the life expectancy of a koi. Maybe it was just his time to go.

Water tests “OK” really doesn’t give us enough information. Can you give us actual number results?

Your pond sounds like it’s just around or under 1000 US gallons. How many total fish are in this pond and have there been any fish added recently? That size pond is questionable for more than one koi.

It sounds like you are experiencing some serious water quality issues, and there might not be a one-size-fits-all solution. Fish can do fine until something tips the scale — such as a change in the number of fish or their sizes (the larger the fish grow, the more waste they produce), or a change in other conditions (weather....), so a pond that was fine a year ago can become toxic to the fish.

I wish I could help, but right now it sounds like you need to:
  • test your water
  • start water changes (use a dechlorinator if your water is treated)
  • reduce the fish load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were thinking about the big fish perhaps it was his time but the other fish have gone the same way, we have had the water tested by our local garden centre so perhaps that's not good enough ,in the summer we emptied the pool and changed the water we also put down artificail grass around the pond and they seemed to be alright, we have put 2 goldfish in the pond last year year thank you for your time

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1612893009347.gif
@GEOFF43ELAINE46
So sorry you are losing fish. I don't have a clue on what is wrong. Kinda sounds like an oxygen problem but I'm just guessing. Sometimes the w/oxygen problems the bigger fish that need more oxygen are the first to go. Wondering if there are too many fish getting bigger and the pond could be too small for them all now?

Ask a Question