Koi lethargic, white film over one eye and appears to be getting skinny

Reaction score
I would have to say I have a garden pond. I have some lillies, and a large Iris on a shelf, which a koi pond would not have. When I first installed my pond the koi were not the purpose. I was more into gardening with a water feature, stream, waterfalls, etc. I have evolved to include koi, through trial and error. Now I really enjoy them but would not want a specific koi pond as I like the garden, landscaping aspect of it.
So given that, does the "no water changes" include my type of set up? I have two skimmers and another closed filtration system (where I would do the backwash with) that sits on the ground and then goes into my upper very small pond (no fish) and then down a short steam to a small waterfalls into the main pond.

I have also posted my original question to Koiphen, as recommended by Tula, about adding treating a bacterial infection to the whole pond. They have not responded, many views but no responses. This morning my koi seemed more social and was swimming with the rest. Since then he just hangs at the waterfalls, barely moving and he is in a almost upright position, which seems odd to me. Head at top and as if nearly standing on his tail in the water, not at the bottom of the pond. My fear is that if I wait until the 7 days for the Prazi treatment and then try a bacterial infection treatment he may not make it. I cannot find anywhere on line about treating both at the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Last year we had an outbreak of some sort of (?) infection in the pond. One of our koi showed symptoms & I'm sorry to say I waited too long to treat. (Had never dealt with sick fish of this sort, so can only hope to do better going forward) In the end, we lost three of our six large koi (although, one of them probably didn't succumb to the same 'problem', but had a large tumor which had been growing & probably lead to his downfall) sigh...
Anyway - Being a 'whole ecosystem' sort of pond owner, I will not use anything that might harm my plants, amphibians, snails, water striders, wildlife or dogs (yes, they regularly drink out of the pond). What I used then (and used this Spring in a prophylactic treatment when adding new little fish was the Microbe-lift Sabbactisun & Parazoryne. One treats for bacterial & the other for parasitic problems. I credit these products with saving us from a total loss of fish last year & a wonderfully successful introduction of newbies this year.
Just wanted to share what I think is a really good, relatively low-impact (on the rest of the environment) product. It's just so very hard when you see your pond pets suffering & aren't sure what, if anything you can do to help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I would have to say I have a garden pond. I have some lillies, and a large Iris on a shelf, which a koi pond would not have. When I first installed my pond the koi were not the purpose. I was more into gardening with a water feature, stream, waterfalls, etc. I have evolved to include koi, through trial and error. Now I really enjoy them but would not want a specific koi pond as I like the garden, landscaping aspect of it.
So given that, does the "no water changes" include my type of set up? I have two skimmers and another closed filtration system (where I would do the backwash with) that sits on the ground and then goes into my upper very small pond (no fish) and then down a short steam to a small waterfalls into the main pond.

I have also posted my original question to Koiphen, as recommended by Tula, about adding treating a bacterial infection to the whole pond. They have not responded, many views but no responses. This morning my koi seemed more social and was swimming with the rest. Since then he just hangs at the waterfalls, barely moving and he is in a almost upright position, which seems odd to me. Head at top and as if nearly standing on his tail in the water, not at the bottom of the pond. My fear is that if I wait until the 7 days for the Prazi treatment and then try a bacterial infection treatment he may not make it. I cannot find anywhere on line about treating both at the same time.
I see you've received a reply on Koiphen. Rich is very experienced , I'd follow his advice :)

Reaction score
Thanks BKH for the info on the Microbe lift products. I’ve used other micro be lift before and really like them.

Unfortunately, this fish has really taken a turn this evening. It’s just hanging in one spot with its mouth at the waterfalls and completely in an upright position, occasionally tipping sideways. I would be very surprised if it’s alive in the morning. If by some chance it is, I will go to my local pond store and get something to see if I can save it.

Breaks my heart to see it like this. My oldest fish and first one to eat out of my hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Very sad!! I wonder what the temperature of your water is? Just a thought about oxygen content vs water temperature.

Reaction score
Ray, my fish made it through the night. So first thing this morning I went to the pond store. The owner suggested the same as you to hold off and not do anything since it hadn’t been the 7 days for the Praziquantel. This afternoon and this evening it’s been with the other fish and eating. It’s not real lively, very still in the water or swimming really slow, but seems a bit better. I’m not sure that it will survive much longer but feeling a little optimistic....for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Ray, my fish made it through the night. So first thing this morning I went to the pond store. The owner suggested the same as you to hold off and not do anything since it hadn’t been the 7 days for the Praziquantel. This afternoon and this evening it’s been with the other fish and eating. It’s not real lively, very still in the water or swimming really slow, but seems a bit better. I’m not sure that it will survive much longer but feeling a little optimistic....for now.
The fish eating is a great sign! Prazi does take at least 5 days to make a difference! The fact that the fish is eating and being with the other fish is a major sign of recovery. I do hope it completely recovers! that would be great!
Ray

Ask a Question