Koi looks sick

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have a 7000 gallon pond with 10 Koi they all look OK but my big Japanese butterfly Koi has settled in behind the planter and it’s not moving is she just laying eggs or is it something I need to worry about

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have a thread for sic k fish, you might have better luck with folks who know more about koi there. But more info will be needed, water temps, peramiters, maybe pictures.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can tell you that when koi are spawning, the last thing they do is lay quietly. It is quite the process - if you see it, you'll know it's happening. It is possible, however, that your koi is exhausted FROM spawning and is just trying to escape her suitors. Keep an eye on her and see if the other fish try to get to her at all. And watch for other signs that she may in fact be ill - gasping for breath, clamping her fins, any red spots on her body, etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
same as what lisak said they sometimes get exhausted from the chase .Maybe you can try to gret a better look at her or him .Long and skinny male ,plump in the middle female .They can sometimes get egg bound also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can tell you that when koi are spawning, the last thing they do is lay quietly. It is quite the process - if you see it, you'll know it's happening. It is possible, however, that your koi is exhausted FROM spawning and is just trying to escape her suitors. Keep an eye on her and see if the other fish try to get to her at all. And watch for other signs that she may in fact be ill - gasping for breath, clamping her fins, any red spots on her body, etc.
I think you nailed it.She’s been swimming around a little bit she’s not discolored or tore up I think you’ve got it she’s just resting behind the planter where they can’t get to her

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I think you nailed it.She’s been swimming around a little bit she’s not discolored or tore up I think you’ve got it she’s just resting behind the planter where they can’t get to her
Thank you for your response very helpful

Ask a Question