Koi losing scales(fins look melted)

Reaction score
I am an avid Koi lover and fish lover in general. Tonight I went out to a pond I havnt been to before thats kept in front of an apt building and noticed the Koi were not right....

The best description is prob 1/3 of the Koi in there have shed most if not ALL of their scales and their fins looks like melted plastic(not nice and firm and defining).

A couple of them are sitting on the bottom against a wall, and one is kinda swimming at a tilt. The 4ft's Koi are swimming fine but their scales are going as well and fins look the same.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
lol...I have 642 gallon pond of my own with normal Koi and Butterfly Koi

Took a neighbor up there with me and he was like wtf too(he has been before)...I saw scales floating off off a couple of them while I was there, only reason I took notice

not to mention the other stuff I mentioned...they were not healthy looking Koi(a few of them)

I've also seen what you are talking about..def not it when I saw scales floating off

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If its at a apt bld ,,,any thing could have been put in the water..

Reaction score
My guess is that they are either stupid or dont care(reason for the introduction of new fish this summer over the old big ones and now all these problems--maybe they thought added new fish was the solution--or got tired of seeing same ol and ended up creating this problem w/o quarantine of new fish)...was just trying to be a good fish person and see if I found out what it was it could be taken care of properly---or whoever manages the pond care changed over

Supposed to have been 8 big guys in there and my count was only 5...last trip neighbor took out there was prob 8months ago when he was doing deliveries

The apt is in a nice place as mine is(i have a pond i built in front of mine)..real upscale place with cameras and doorman depending on times

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
maybe someone should report there fears ...if the fish not being looked after ? in the uk we have the rspca and could contact them and they would send someone out to have a look ... i dont know if you have anything like that over there ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
So I guess the answer is no. Why would you take time to report this here where we can't help these fish yet not approach the managment or authorities about the neglect you suspect is happening?

Ask a Question