KOI MED

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
I have one koi has a spot on top of head looks raw and red what should I use to treat I tried API MELAFIX for 5 days did not do to much .Anything better

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been using new stuff sold by dr foster and smith called ruby reef hydroplex and it has worked great on the sick fish I take in .Some don't like it but if it works and is safe I tried and have found it is the easiest and safest meds. aruond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
I have been using new stuff sold by dr foster and smith called ruby reef hydroplex and it has worked great on the sick fish I take in .Some don't like it but if it works and is safe I tried and have found it is the easiest and safest meds. aruond
Did you use it as a dip or did you ad it to the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did both but as a safety measure .But I take in peoples sick fish and give them back healthy fish

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is safe to use everyday and no water changes .It states right on the bottle .Only reason I treated the whole pond was something was really wrong .I hate to see people fail at a pond .They worked hard to do a pond and I would hate to see someone give up .No offense .They had already tried milafix and pimafix but nothing and then I decided that this may work better .I added a little peroxide to boost it .The bottle of hydroplex has to be kept in a cool dark place .I don't know why they don't put it in a dark colored bottle . I guess that most rely on the milafix and pimafix and they are good but they seemed to not help these fish .The people now have a healthier pond and know a little more about how to take care of the pond and the fish .I grew up with a pond my dad and I built when I was around 10 so I guess I learned more than I realized from him .I still have all of his notes so that helps .The book is faded and worn but my treasure of him and nothing can replace it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
I just ordered it I will use it as a dip. how long did you keep the the fish in the dip when you did it ? I will let you no how it works for me

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used it in a stock tank with water and they say on the bottle you don't have to do water changes but I did and I had a filter in the tank with quilt batting in it and an airstone .The dip has to be watered down .The hydroplex pure (always dilute it )should not be used or come in contact with the gills of the fish .I prefer the tank method as it does not cause the fish excess stress .I find the longer they stay in the stock tank the better it is .Since I use it on several fish at a time it is easier with the tank and this way I can see the change .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have one koi has a spot on top of head looks raw and red what should I use to treat I tried API MELAFIX for 5 days did not do to much .Anything better

Problem is, you really don't know what you're treating. I assume you have no access to a microscope? IMO - If it's a koi you'd like to take no chances with, the best thing would be, take the fish out, using an anesthetic like cloves / Eugenol and take a scaping. Once it's isolated, you treat specifically for exacted what your koi has. You can also treat it local that way should it be a local bacteria.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
I used it in a stock tank with water and they say on the bottle you don't have to do water changes but I did and I had a filter in the tank with quilt batting in it and an airstone .The dip has to be watered down .The hydroplex pure (always dilute it )should not be used or come in contact with the gills of the fish .I prefer the tank method as it does not cause the fish excess stress .I find the longer they stay in the stock tank the better it is .Since I use it on several fish at a time it is easier with the tank and this way I can see the change .
IF I use it as a dip I have a 50 gal tank .If I put in 30 gal I think I have to add 6 oz of HYDRO PLEX how long should I keep the fish in the dip .To treat a 1200 gal pond I would need a lot of HYDROPLEX
LARRY

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
IF I use it as a dip I have a 50 gal tank .If I put in 30 gal I think I have to add 6 oz of HYDRO PLEX how long should I keep the fish in the dip .To treat a 1200 gal pond I would need a lot of HYDROPLEX
LARRY
I put 30 gal in my tank and put in 12 0z of HYDROPLEX .I will use this as my quarantine tank I think 12 oz. is good for 3 days I don't no how long before I see improvement I will let you no

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Problem is, you really don't know what you're treating. I assume you have no access to a microscope? IMO - If it's a koi you'd like to take no chances with, the best thing would be, take the fish out, using an anesthetic like cloves / Eugenol and take a scaping. Once it's isolated, you treat specifically for exacted what your koi has. You can also treat it local that way should it be a local bacteria.
This is absolutely correct.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
mass
LARRY
I have the fish in a 30 gal tank this is the third treatment of 12 oz. of HYDROPLEX there is some change to the wound for the better Friday will be a week I may put the fish back in the pond I don't no how long it takes for the skin to grow back but the fish seam in good shape

Ask a Question