Koi missing scales

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2 year old butterfly koi about 10 inches in length that has about a dime sized area of scales missing off it's side. The exposed area is completely white with no red areas. The koi is in a 700 gallon pond that is two years old with two other koi and 4 - 3 inch gold fish.
Water quality
* Ammonia Level - 0
* Nitrite Level - 0
* Ph Level, pond - 7.4
* Brand of test-kit used- API Freshwater master test kit

I have fed the fish Medi-koi for ten days because I added new fish. This stoppped three days ago. I have a salvio filter with two cartridge filters and a 1150 gph pump. I also have waterfall weir with a bio-filter and bio balls.
All the fish are eating very well and are active. They are fed pellets once a day and have water lettuce/hyacinth/lily pads to eat as well. I have lost two fish in the last 12 months to some sort of predator. Probably racoons. At night I net the pond. The loses were prior to me netting the pond.

Any ideas on what it is???? What should I do? Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The pond in lined with rocks so she could have rubbed up against them while going from cave to cave but it seems too large an area. I do not have a placo.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I also have a butterfly koi over 12 inches that gets into the rocks when feeding. He actually has 3 missing right now. I've never noticed it on any other fish but he is black and orange so it may just show up better on him. He has done this before and they have always healed on their own but I always keep a close eye on him until they are fully healed just in case they get infected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
gloria said:
Hello,
I have a 2 year old butterfly koi about 10 inches in length that has about a dime sized area of scales missing off it's side. The exposed area is completely white with no red areas. The koi is in a 700 gallon pond that is two years old with two other koi and 4 - 3 inch gold fish.
Water quality
* Ammonia Level - 0
* Nitrite Level - 0
* Ph Level, pond - 7.4
* Brand of test-kit used- API Freshwater master test kit

I have fed the fish Medi-koi for ten days because I added new fish. This stoppped three days ago. I have a salvio filter with two cartridge filters and a 1150 gph pump. I also have waterfall weir with a bio-filter and bio balls.
All the fish are eating very well and are active. They are fed pellets once a day and have water lettuce/hyacinth/lily pads to eat as well. I have lost two fish in the last 12 months to some sort of predator. Probably racoons. At night I net the pond. The loses were prior to me netting the pond.

Any ideas on what it is???? What should I do? Thanks!
Koi are quite hardy when it comes to rcovering after scales have been knocked off and normally take it in their stride I've had my big doitsu knock two of his large scales off before now with no problem.
If the wound is white and not infected leave it and the scales will grow back in time at their own speed .
However do keep an eye on things just in case its always better to be prepared.

rgrds

Dave.

Reaction score
I am wondering if your koi are spawning. I have had scales come off my koi when they spawn. They generally don't have any problems after that, but as Dave said - definitely keep an eye on your koi.

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. My koi are 21 months old. Too young for spawning? I will keep an eye on her. She definitely digs through the rocks looking for food. What do I do if ulcers occur? They already got 10 days of Medi-koi. Thanks!

Reaction score
They generally will start spawning around 2 years old.

Ulcers can be nasty, but they can also be dealt with. Definitely keep an eye on them.

Ask a Question