Koi more shy?

Reaction score
Are koi more shy than goldfish (common/comet)?
I have a couple that we purchased last weekend and they are very shy - darting when ever we turn the room light on and whenever i sit near the tank, they hide in the corner... they sit on the floor of the tank.
The comets we had in the same room were just fine with the lights.
I have now taken out the lights that were pointing towards the tank and that does seem to have calmed them a little, but they are sooo shy!
They wont eat til after 5pm, and then they will come sniff the food VERY slowly in case i happened to be poisoning them!
However, i know they are OK healthwise, as i can walk through the room when its dark and i can see their shadows swimming around in the middle of the tank as they should... but as soon as i turn ANY light on - even a far away light, down they go!
They are just Hariwake (i think) - platinum color with a little yellow on the head.
Nothing expensive - or large right now - just 3 to 4 inches and just from the LFS
I have read that Chagoi are "friendlier" - because they like food more! :)
Maybe they are next on the list once i get these two out of QT

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just give them more time to get use to the new water

Reaction score
so do you think its more them getting use to new water rather than them being just not used to new surroundings?
I mean, i can see them swimming "happily" with lights off - which would mean they are OK with the water, no?
as you can see this is my first time with young koi - the koi that we had in the pond were older/used to the pond and people coming up to the edge etc.
its funny watching these two as they sneak around, poking their heads around the rocks checking to see if i am watching them!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He probably means "water" as being the entire environment....

I don't have koi, but have noticed [and posted about, with similar questions] that all of my goldfish act differently to various situations. Some are shy and some not so much. But they eventually come around and get used to their surroundings and your routines. Give them time.

But as to your question regarding koi vs. goldfish, I think in general, koi tend to be more pet-like than goldfish.

Reaction score
update on my two koi.... i gave them some orange pieces the other night - they were hesitant in taking them - being shy agani
last night - gave them again the orange piece - and they rushed for it this time! they were ravishing it! so i added some other fish food and they ate that also
so i am a happier camper or should that be fisher? :)
anyways, i am happier that they are indeed just shy and not sitting at the bottom because they were ill or anything.
they are starting to move around even with daylight now! good to know- as they will be introduced to the pond soon....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yea! They were just being wary of their new environment -- never know what predators or scary monsters lurk about!

Thanks for the update!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Koi like thei wild cousins are very street wise, whiley and canny fish , it may take a few days before they are fully over their shyness food normally wins them over

Dave

Reaction score
yes they do appear to be wiley!
i have found they like garlic and oranges though:)
They are not as sure about shrimp but will eat it anyway....

Ask a Question