Koi Never Comes Out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a 700 gallon above ground pond. We started out with goldfish. Loved them, they would come up to the top and greet us every time we were near the pond. Fast forward to last May. We got rid of the goldfish and picked up some koi. We new that we would have to get rid of them in a few years. That is not my issue.

My issue is that they never come to the top when we are out near the pond. If they are out, they dive to the bottom once we are in sight. They are always hiding. These are the most unsociable fish that I ever had. Regret ever getting rid of the goldfish.

Any ideas what would cause this, or are Koi normally like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
it could be they are afraid, has a predator visited? Predators like raccoons, cats, herons etc?

I'm sure you realize 700 gallons is too small to keep koi in. I hope you're able to find them good homes in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The pond is covered by a gazebo and its in my fenced patio. I never had any predators. It happened right when we got them. The goldfish were fine, Koi have always acted this way. Yes, I am aware my pond is too small. I have arrangements when that time comes.

Reaction score
I would say just give it time. As Tula mentioned... if a predator came... it would set them back.... but regardless.... my similar experience is with my front small goldfish pond. I lost all to a heron attack the fall prior and then restocked in the spring after a clean out. Since they were all new... It took them months and months to get use to me and associating me with feeding time. There's no one in there to show them the ropes!

For anyone that has added fish to an existing pond... new fish are skittish but over a week or so. I think having other existing fish really helps the new ones. They learn that they don't need to hide from the big shadow above... and that the shadow brings them yum yum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Good questions about Koi being skittish! My answer is YES they often are. So if you cut back on feeding them a bit they will realize they need you for food. Also my Koi are moody sometimes and no obvious reason. I know when it is windy and the trees wave about they are more skittish than when it is calm. I have never had predators and my Koi are large. Also my Koi all have personalities and some are shy and others less so. Basically reduce the feeding and they will then associate you with food pretty quickly.

Ask a Question