koi not eating after 2 weeks !

Reaction score
i have built a 5000ltr pond, bought and installed a pump (3000/h), a bio filter (3000/h),and have treated the water. i then bought 10 koi, 3 inch, after a week the pond became murky and 2 sadly died. ive tested the water and it was 7.0 ph. ive done ammonia tests and nitrate, but i haven't got a color chart to compare against, both tests came back quite yellow, is that bad?

in the past week, a further 2 have died. the pond still is murky, and i have not seen the koi eat once yet, despite the water temperature being ideal. are they starving to death, is the filtration adequate, are they scared of a new environment, ???

tomorrow i will be buying a new filter and pump in addition to the one i have and build a canopy over the pond to stop leaves from dropping in, will this help or scare the fish deeper into shock......?:bowdown:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds like you did too much at one time. If this is a first time set up, it is always best to get your bio system established before adding the more valuable Koi. I recommend a few feeders to get it going.

Your nitrate test that showed yellow, where did it come from without a reference chart? I would go online an see if they have a color chart you can download or go get a reliable test kit.

You said you "treated" the water, with what? The only treatment necessary is dechlor if you used tap water.

Your bio filter can be jump started with beneficial bacteria but to me that is like eating at Jack in the Box instead of cooking at home. I prefer to let it establish itself. You don't know what all is in that coctail they are selling you.

We need more information and perhaps some photos.

Reaction score
Adding bacteria to the pond should not change the ponds characteristics. Sounds like you could use a water change to remove what ever it is that the guy gave you.
BTW. If there was a product the was 40x better than Microbe lift everbody I think would know about it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
BTW. If there was a product the was 40x better than Microbe lift everbody I think would know about it.

Reaction score
yes, when i meant that i had treated the water what i meant was taken the clorine out, as i filled with tap water off my garden hose.

i have today fitted a tank which the water flows through with filter media in it with a more powerful pump to hopefully clear the water.

today, whilst fitting the filter, i noticed that the fish were curiously hovering round the surface, so i gave them some wheatgerm sticks and they finally ate, though very cautiously.

i agree that the pond probly could do with a water change, but i am unsure because the water change will drasticly alter the ph and i do not have a quarentene tank.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
i think maybe you need to take a break.. it hink you are stressing your fish way too much.. Just deal with the water, its not worth risking killing everything. People are happier to see dark water than a floater or three.

The water change will NOT effect the fish as badly as getting in there and moving and changing filters.. I would just do the water change and leave it at that.. I would also just get a net and scoop out ANYTHING you can from the bottom of the pond.

Look around near your plants and see if there are any dead pieces of stems and use a scissor and take them off and out of the pond.

Then just wait..

Also, what makes you think that your tap water has a different PH than the pond water? Have you tested your tap water? You shoud test it.. It is probably close to the same.. I know ours is.

Also, dont mess with the ph.. From what I understand, koi fish are better inclined to live in a slightly wrong ph level that stays consistent than to live in a pond where the owner is trying desperately to keep the ph idea but everytime there is water change or rain, it goes up or down.. Just keep it at what it would naturally be for where you live

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its a good sign that you had a few come and see what heck your doing ...Up there...:icon_mrgreen:

Ask a Question