Koi not growing

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
My koi don't seem to be growing. I have some that have been the same size for years. Is that normal?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just how big [or small] are they? Are you sure they are koi and not goldfish? Tell us a little more about your pond and post some pics if you can.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pond is about 4500 gallons. About 4 foot deep. These fish are koi but they are maybe 7 inches and have been that way for years. I have some in a smaller pond that seem to be growing. The ponds are connected by a stream so its the same water. I test it regularly and the tests are always spot on. Just curious if some just do not get very big.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4500 gallons is awesome..... How many fish.... What kind of biological filtration..... Is the water clear.....since you are in SC the water should be warm

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
May I ask what the exact results where? and what test kit you used?
Also could you get a picture of the fish?
I use the drops for testing I think its made by api ammonia, nitrates,nitrites at 0. Yes the water is clear because we use a UV light.

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
4500 gallons is awesome..... How many fish.... What kind of biological filtration..... Is the water clear.....since you are in SC the water should be warm
We have a skimmer with filter pads and a bio box with pads and lava rock. We Aldo use a UV light run to a second pump to add aeration to the water. Small top pond is heavily planted with Lilys.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ammonia, nitrates,nitrites at 0.
If you meant that all of those are 0 then you have a problem.
Nitrate should be around 10 (and this is normally) parts per million
Ammonia 0 parts per million
nitrite 0 parts per million

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you meant that all of those are 0 then you have a problem.
Nitrate should be around 10 (and this is normally) parts per million
Ammonia 0 parts per million
nitrite 0 parts per million
Not necessarily. I have never had a nitrate reading on my pond (well, except during the initial cycling) It's true that there should be SOME nitrate, but it's possible that the test isn't sensitive enough to pick up a very low level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If the water quality is good and they really are koi, the only things I could think of to explain it are genetics, congenital stunting, or difference in diet.

However, I only keep goldfish, and that's where my ideas come from. With goldfish, some are born runts and they never grow as large as their brothers and sisters. These are often sold in pet shops because the breeders don't want them or because they come from a goldfish mill that doesn't care. If you purchased your koi from a chain pet store, you may have been sold a runt, or a fish that was too sickly or poorly treated to grow well while it was a juvenile.

Alternatively, how are your stocking and feeding levels between the two ponds? If your large koi have more competition for food, they may not be getting as much as the little fish. There may also not be as much natural food available depending on the location, density of plants, and sunlight received.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I won't feed growth food because fish are big enough .Do the fish have barbels like koi .

Ask a Question