koi not seen

Reaction score
I saw one koi 2 weeks ago and havent seen it since. My pond is green with loads on the bottom and wispy stuff on top. will this affect my koi and what can I do about it and not harm my fish if I still have some

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds like string algae, they are most likely hiding in it. Filtration helps, but this time of year ponds are warming up and the stuff grows. Is your pond bottom clean or gunky?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeLB1.gif
shirley
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Time to scoop out the gunk on the bottom w/ a net and get your filter up and running, maybe throw some Barley in to get rid of the algae and so on and so on like the rest of us when the pond starts to wake up :confused:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is working as designed, no algae has shown it's little green head yet! yippee

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure send a semi to pack up the 2800 lbs of pea gravel lol, a little over built but it will keep the pond clean and I wanted room for the plants.

Reaction score
Hi I took out the string algae but there is a lot on the bottom it is gunky not clean but I am afraid of disturbing the koi or hitting them with the rake. I saw one today it was on the bottom under some gunk I thought it was dead but I touched on the back and it made a little squiggle and I saw bubbles so it isnt dead. The other opne the braver one I didnt see at all. What is baarley the kind one cooks with ????

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shirley,I think you still need to get the pond bottom cleaned better so there is not so much gunk on the bottom. Can you invest in a net instead of a rake so it won't hurt the fish if it touches them? Anyways here's a bit about barley:

Maintaining a clean, clear pond is cheap and easy when you use barley straw. It helps control algae so your pond isn't covered over or muddied with these organisms. Plus, you'll feel good about using the barley straw because it won't harm the environment or plants, animals and fish that live in or around the pond. Barley straw is not an algaecide, so it doesn't kill algae. Instead, its decomposition creates an environment that is hostile to algae formation, leaving you with a cleaner pond.

Instructions
things you'll need:

4 to 8 ounces of barley straw
Mesh netting
Plastic soda bottle
Rope or heavy-duty string

1 -Purchase barley straw at your local garden supply store or online. Because it's commonly used to control algae in ponds, it's often sold already bundled in mesh. For a pond under 800 gallons, 4 ounces of barley straw is enough for each treatment. Ponds up to 1200 gallons will require 8 ounces of barley straw. Add 4 more ounces of barley straw for every 400 gallons over 1200.

2 -Wrap your barley straw securely in mesh netting if it isn't already. This allows the water to flow through the barley straw once you put it in the pond.

3 -Attach your bundle of barley straw to an empty soda bottle using rope or heavy duty string. The soda bottle will act as a float, preventing the barley straw bundle from settling into mud or muck at the bottom of your pond.

4 -Set the bundle in your pond in an area that gets good water circulation (near a waterfall or stream is ideal) and sunlight. If your pond is covered with algae, skim it off before setting the barley straw bundle. You'll achieve the best results if the barley straw receives sunlight (to aid the decomposition of the straw) and if water flows through it (distributing the resulting organic matter through the pond).

5 -Check the bundle after four months and add a new one if it's almost completely decomposed. Cooler northern climates will only require two treatments (one in early spring and one in late summer). Warmer southern climates may need treatment every four to six months.

Tips & Warnings

Expect to see results in about a month for barley straw treatments added when the pond is 40 degrees or less. Once the pond warms up, barley straw treatments show results in about two weeks. If the clarity of your pond doesn't improve after a month, check to make sure your barley straw bundle is in a spot that will give it maximum sunlight exposure and water circulation.

If your pond is particularly muddy, it may take a few treatments to see good results because mud will slow down the distribution of the decomposing barley straw particles. Don't substitute hay or another straw for barley straw. They will most likely decompose too fast, which can be harmful to plants and fish in your pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have never tried the barley extract but I think personally that I would want to stay w/ the more natural use of the straw. And I don't know how much of the extract one would have to use per dosage but I would wonder if it wasn't more expensive in the long run and possibly more danger of adding too much at a time if not careful. I've also heard that you have to add it more often as it doesn't last as long as the straw. With the straw you can just leave it in there and let it dissolve for several months at a time.

Ask a Question