Koi on side

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 9 yr old koi on side. Was good thru winter then we had a thaw and refreeze and she is now on her side not looking good. If we try to catch her she does take off. Water tests are good. We opened our pond and did a water change, all the while she was swimming upright. She will go upright and swim around the pond but then comes to top and on side. She is a good 27 inches long and the queen of the pond. It does look like some streaking in tail. We are still cold here so don't want to try to feed peas as other sites suggest. I really can't stand the thought of loosing her. Others in pond seem fine but I did loose 3 smaller ones this winter. We have no one in area that I know of who specialize in koi so I am on my own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome polaris3459, but sorry for the reason. I've not had personal experience with this happening to my koi, but have read that Spring is a time of vulnerability for them. Is there any chance you can catch her so you can examine her? I think it would also be easier to monitor and treat ( if needed ) in a smaller container.

You say your water tests are good, do you have the actual numbers? How much of the water did you change and is that when she began laying on her side?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think I can catch her and my biggest net won't help. I am afraid of breaking her back she is huge. If I can net her and steer her to the side maybe. This started before we opened the pond. We worked in the snow thinking a water change and filters would help. All seemed well till the warm up and re freeze. We did have a dead frog in the skimmer when opening that really smelled bad. Didn't know if that was part of the problem The pond is about 4,000 gal and we did about 1/3 water change. Not looking good.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear. I don't have koi. So can't help you a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were in your position. I have waders, so would probably try to get in the pond and guide her into a Rubbermaid tub. From there, all I have is a 110 gallon livestock tank, which I'd use with aeration.....and go from there.

@Dave 54 has a lot of experience in diagnosing and treating sick koi. Also, there is another site that is devoted to koi and you might get good information there: koiphen.com

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all I continue to monitor. She has not come to the top like she did before but at times see her on the bottom and on side. She will go for sometimes 1/2 day upright on the bottom facing stream. I am hoping the extra air and filtration is, in some odd way, helping. Others seem to gathers around her at times. The other elders of the pond seem to get on either side to help her out. It's the crazy thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
wow how things change, within a 1/2 hour of last message found her in the skimmer. Was able to get her into a holding tank, put in rocks to hold her upright and got a bubbler goin. Took bad turn for worse. She is about 30 inches long and I am sick about it. Has some streaking in tail fin now and one eye is very clouded over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
wow how things change, within a 1/2 hour of last message found her in the skimmer. Was able to get her into a holding tank, put in rocks to hold her upright and got a bubbler goin. Took bad turn for worse. She is about 30 inches long and I am sick about it. Has some streaking in tail fin now and one eye is very clouded over.
Great now that you have her in your holding tank could you please post a good clear photo of your sick koi , one of its cloudy eye plus your ponds water parameters i:e Ammonia , Nitrate , Nitrite Ph , Kh please.

Dave 54

Ask a Question