Koi only make one day!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a small "pond" about 50 gallons with a koi. Last summer I built a 1000 gallon pond. This pond has a skimmer waterfall and 2 aeration stones. I add the koi and a couple new ones. They were fine for quite some time, then the vanished.

Since this time I have added koi 2 other times. Both times the koi are dead and in the skimmer the next morning. I have removed the chlorine, tested the water and add benifical bacteria regularly.

The water always test fine and should have plenty of oxygen. I need some suggestions because I would really like to keep some koi in this pond as this was the main purpose.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Bmac Hello and welcome! That is devastating, and I’m sorry it’s what brought you here.

I’m not going to begin to give you advice. There are a lot of unanswered questions, and too many variables. But let me ask you this: do you understand about the NITROGEN CYCLE, and do you have a water test kit! Understanding the NITROGEN CYCLE is the most important part of keeping fish.

My advice on where to start:
If you don’t already have one, I recommend that you get an API liquid test kit for ponds, and add on the tests for KH and GH (they don’t come with the basic kit). Don’t use test strips as they aren’t reliable.

Come back here for more on how to test, what you need to keep an eye on, and what it all means. It can be overwhelming, but we can help you understand along the way. In the meantime, don’t add any more fish and take this time to learn the basics.

And, just to add that 1000 gallons is the minimum amount of water for a single koi, so your pond might be more suitable for some goldfish instead of koi.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Bmac Hello and welcome! That is devastating, and I’m sorry it’s what brought you here.

I’m not going to begin to give you advice. There are a lot of unanswered questions, and too many variables. But let me ask you this: do you understand about the NITROGEN CYCLE, and do you have a water test kit! Understanding the NITROGEN CYCLE is the most important part of keeping fish.

My advice on where to start:
If you don’t already have one, I recommend that you get an API liquid test kit for ponds, and add on the tests for KH and GH (they don’t come with the basic kit). Don’t use test strips as they aren’t reliable.

Come back here for more on how to test, what you need to keep an eye on, and what it all means. It can be overwhelming, but we can help you understand along the way. In the meantime, don’t add any more fish and take this time to learn the basics.

And, just to add that 1000 gallons is the minimum amount of water for a single koi, so your pond might be more suitable for some goldfish instead of koi.
I have basic understanding of the cycle but sure there is more to learn. I have tried to do research and have added plants treatments and bacteria to help the process.

I have an api test kit but it does not contain the liquids for the two test you suggest. Are you thinking that hard water may be part of my problem?

I understand that 1000 gallons is small but I do not believe overload is my problem in this situation. I was told gold fish would not do as well during the cold months.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
KH is more related to stabilizing pH, but all of the chemistries work together to make the pond balanced.

It’s also important to not add chemicals to the pond (Except dechlorinator, if you’re on city water).

There are soooooo many factors involved with keeping a pond balanced. When you make changes, you need to make them slowly and one at a time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand that 1000 gallons is small but I do not believe overload is my problem in this situation. I was told gold fish would not do as well during the cold months.
Goldfish handle cold water without issue. Keep a hole in the ice and they are good to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Could there be contaminated water runoff into the pond, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer, heavy metals? And how were the koi transported and acclimated?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a small "pond" about 50 gallons with a koi. Last summer I built a 1000 gallon pond. This pond has a skimmer waterfall and 2 aeration stones. I add the koi and a couple new ones. They were fine for quite some time, then the vanished.

Since this time I have added koi 2 other times. Both times the koi are dead and in the skimmer the next morning. I have removed the chlorine, tested the water and add benifical bacteria regularly.

The water always test fine and should have plenty of oxygen. I need some suggestions because I would really like to keep some koi in this pond as this was the main purpose.
A thousand gallonpond is just big enough for one koi. There waste is 10 times that of a comparable gold fish. Dump the koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could there be contaminated water runoff into the pond, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer, heavy metals? And how were the koi transported and acclimated?
I do not believe so just not sure of the heavy metals or where the would come from.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651434942831.gif
@Bmac If I were you I would invest in some Shubunkin Goldfish after you can hopefully figure out why the koi died. The Shubunkin's look kinda like koi only smaller. They are a type of goldfish and can handle the cold. Some have really long flowing tails. I love them!

Shubunkin's.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I got the kh/gh test and everything seems fine. Took 3 drops to notice a difference which should be about 53 ppm.

I tested my ph the next day about 10am and got a reading of like 9.0 or blue in color. Tested the next day and yellow or 6.0.

Then I tested this evening and got this! I have no idea what is happening! Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1651710441615812727359746755138.jpg
    1651710441615812727359746755138.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I love tree frogs (have a ton of their tadpoles in my pond ) How are they causing a problem for you? My pH has not fluctuated so I don't think they are to blame for your dilemma...

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I tested my ph the next day about 10am and got a reading of like 9.0 or blue in color. Tested the next day and yellow or 6.0.
That is a pretty high PH swing. That could be why you are losing your fish. To keep the PH stable, KH and GH should be around 100 (which is about 6 drops of the liquid test kits). I try to keep my KH and GH around 150.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, your KH is too low, allowing your pH to make those huge swings and killing the fish.

That problem is easily corrected with plain old baking soda. Just search the site and you can find plenty of information on how to do that.

Ask a Question