Koi or Monster that is the question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Heres a video that I mentioned to Mitch about a big headed Chinese koi in with a pond full of Jumbo koi all around the 3ft mark . This baby dwarfs them all at around 6 ft seeing is believing folks so enjoy :- http://www.aquatechnobel.be/zoomvideo.php?image=http://www.atbtv.eu/video/2010/koi_or_monster.wmv Your comments on this koi are more than welcome but the best discription so far is a huge nuclear submarine lol rgrds Dave

PS the word koi covers a wider variety of fish than we know in Japanese and Chinese

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well at first I thought well those are some nice big fish but nothing really huge and then Gigantisaures Tex from the deep dark abyss showed up :eek:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, I bet those big'ns are the native koi that is used for food in Asia. It is my understanding that pond koi is a mutation, runt of the koi species.

Picture below, the koi being fed is 34" long. A few of the koi in that video look about as big as this one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know Dave.... I don't quite trust the video or maybe I shouldn't trust my eyes...

I wouldn't have pegged any of the regular koi shown in the video as much over 24" (61cm) from looking at it in the video. So I can see that big guy being maybe 36" (91cm). That's still a big fish but hardly a 6 footer (182cm). 3 foot koi are not that unusual in Japan.

I'd like to see them in a blue tub with a ruler for reference.

Craig

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Funny those were my words the first time I saw them mitch, however I'm unsure if they are magio or not "eating koi".

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Craig it is a 6ft fish I've talked to brits who have visited this breeder he keeps them in there to freak people out lol those koi are Jumbo koi.
But in reality its a play on words the word koi covers more than one fish in Japan and China as with this big headed Chinese koi it basically translates as Carp if you look at the dorsal its shorter than what we know as koi .

rgrds

Dave

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know. I've watched it 5 times now. Watched another koi swim length wise to one of them jumbos and the jumbo is only about a 1/3 longer. All of the koi in there do not look to be longer than 80cm (31in) as the author states unless the pond is like 7 foot deep and most of the koi are at the bottom causing the top view of the koi to make the koi look smaller in the video than they actually are. It's really hard to judge. It would've been more convincing if there was an actual 3foot and a 6foot stick floating in the water or something to give the video viewers a better peception. Fun video though, thanks for sharing. :)

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Although I know it is bigger then what it looks in the pond but I hardly think it is 6ft long.
And it looks like a standard river/lake carp to me and they can get pretty big I have seen them at 4 feet easy but never heard of one getting in to the 6 foot catagory.
Other wise that guy on Monster fish show would be fishing for it. :razz: :razz: :razz:

The koi are real nice looking and healthy.

Ruben

Reaction score
I can't get it to play for me on Firefox. It's a Windows Media Player video format, and I installed the driver. but no go yet. And I'm sure iPad doesn't speak Windows. jUst GuEsSin. Hmm, guess I'll need to fire up Internet Explorer. Gag ...

I so want to see this video so I can respond with ....

"Holy whale bait batman!"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can't get it to play for me on Firefox. It's a Windows Media Player video format, and I installed the driver. but no go yet. And I'm sure iPad doesn't speak Windows. jUst GuEsSin. Hmm, guess I'll need to fire up Internet Explorer. Gag ...

I so want to see this video so I can respond with ....

"Holy whale bait batman!"

The plugin only works for safari, not firefox. If you downloaded and installed it, open safari and it should work.

Craig

Ask a Question